Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earning while in a nursing home?

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    In Texas, most nursing home residents receive $60 per month. Of course, this isn't what I'm asking about.

And, I'm not asking about preadmission screening, because that would have already taken place before the person became a resident in a nursing home.

ChesBay, you said, "IF you were able to earn income I am pretty sure all but the $50-$60 per month mentioned above by KLD would go to Medicaide / the cost of care."
    ---Are you able to substantiate this supposition?
    Last edited by Vintage; 11-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    In Texas, most nursing home residents receive $60 per month. Of course, this isn't what I'm asking about.

And, I'm not asking about preadmission screening, because that would have already taken place before the person became a resident in a nursing home.

ChesBay, you said, "IF you were able to earn income I am pretty sure all but the $50-$60 per month mentioned above by KLD would go to Medicaide / the cost of care."
    ---Are you able to substantiate this supposition?
    I think Medicaid is the only one to give answer. Have you called them? rules can vary state to state depending on what the particular state opts in to.

this is second paragraph from second link in my previous post :

"The Medicaid Buy-In program is an optional State Medicaid benefit group for workers with disabilities who have earnings in excess of traditional Medicaid rules. Individuals with disabilities who would be ineligible for Medicaid because of earnings can work and access the services and supports they need. Ideally, it means workers with disabilities do not need to choose between healthcare and work."

The paragraph you quote is not in regard to nursing home residents. Nothing in that entire link has anything to do with nursing home residents.
    Female, T9 incomplete

I contacted a lawyer and got an answer to my question.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I contacted a lawyer and got an answer to my question.
    Would you mind posting what you learned? I'd been following the thread as an interested Texan, but had no facts to share.

2drwhofans, the answer I got was "yes", I would be able to earn money, declare it, and pay taxes on it while living in a nursing home, with government insurance paying all or part of the nursing home bill.
    Female, T9 incomplete