Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Travel pain

  1. #1
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981

    Travel pain

    I traveled with this one years plus wheelchair.
    I required this chair to be strong enough to stand through abuse at the air port.
    Somehow it couldn't make it when I was back.
    The frame was bent, left caster floated.
    Though I protect the frame with plastic tube, yet it got a deep scratch.
    The chair cannot keep in straight track anymore, difficult to push too.
    Still waiting for the airline to compensate me.

    Name:  scw taiwan 1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  151.3 KB

    Name:  scw taiwan 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  52.9 KB

    Name:  scw taiwan 3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  59.6 KB
    Last edited by sowseng; 11-20-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
    Posts
    50
    This is a story we (those of us that travel) hear far too often and really should be something we only hear about once in a blue moon. I have had my chair sent to a different city and was left with the airport porter chair to get around in while I waited for 3+ hours for them to get my chair back to me. It really sucks!

    I only get satin finish natural (titanium) on my manual chairs as the scratches don't show as bad.

    The elevated castor thing has happened to my old (ZRA) chair before and I discovered that you can sometimes adjust that castor elevation out of the chair by loosening the bolts for the adjustable footrest and putting some substantial weight (I put about 200 lbs) across the front of the chair over the castor legs then tightening up the bolts once both castors are level on the ground.

    Fighting with airlines is almost always a nightmare and some airlines have caps or limits on what they pay for damages/repairs to any cargo. I know this has been challenged successfully in the US and Canada on occasions but I am unfamiliar with any Asian Airlines policies/procedures? Good luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    This is a story we (those of us that travel) hear far too often and really should be something we only hear about once in a blue moon. I have had my chair sent to a different city and was left with the airport porter chair to get around in while I waited for 3+ hours for them to get my chair back to me. It really sucks!

    I only get satin finish natural (titanium) on my manual chairs as the scratches don't show as bad.

    The elevated castor thing has happened to my old (ZRA) chair before and I discovered that you can sometimes adjust that castor elevation out of the chair by loosening the bolts for the adjustable footrest and putting some substantial weight (I put about 200 lbs) across the front of the chair over the castor legs then tightening up the bolts once both castors are level on the ground.

    Fighting with airlines is almost always a nightmare and some airlines have caps or limits on what they pay for damages/repairs to any cargo. I know this has been challenged successfully in the US and Canada on occasions but I am unfamiliar with any Asian Airlines policies/procedures? Good luck
    Mine is a fully welded frame, the footrest is welded too.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  4. #4
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,561
    I had forgotten about SeanCo. I'm happy to be reminded of them, but this is a terrible way to remember. I hope you get after them- out of curiousity, what airline was it?

    Here in Canada the 2 major airlines have limited their liability to a maximum of $1400. Which as anyone who has ever ordered a wheelchair knows is a pittance. I flyl within North America 6-8 times a year and it's always stressful. The likelihood of something happening is low but it is not unheard of. The problem here was that there were people abusing their old policies and committing fraud tot get new equipment.

    Last year I had my rugby wheelchair bent. One of rear anti-tip caster barrels was bent over 6 degrees - visible to the naked eye. You could see in the aluminum where it had contacted the pavement. They had to have dropped (or thrown) it from quite a distance because rugby wheelchairs are made to withstand incredible impacts.

    I took many photographs showing the damage and wrote a very descriptive email and sent it to the airline. It was a U.S. airline and they were awesome - I got a brand new chair no questions asked.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    103
    What kind of chair is that? (It looks like an RGK.) This is the reason I don't want to fly anywhere, because I can't handle the worrying about my chair getting messed up or lost.

    My chairs over the years have taken quite a beating, but I've never seen anything like that.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Mine is a fully welded frame, the footrest is welded too.
    Sorry this happened.
    What about the casters? Can you add washers to the steering axle?
    I like the looks of your chair, but I bet you take an old clunker on the next flight.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    I traveled with this one years plus wheelchair.
    I required this chair to be strong enough to stand through abuse at the air port.
    Somehow it couldn't make it when I was back.
    The frame was bent, left caster floated.
    Though I protect the frame with plastic tube, yet it got a deep scratch.
    The chair cannot keep in straight track anymore, difficult to push too.
    Still waiting for the airline to compensate me.

    Name:  scw taiwan 1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  151.3 KB

    Name:  scw taiwan 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  52.9 KB

    Name:  scw taiwan 3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  59.6 KB

    So sorry for what you are going through...

    In the states its different the airlines should refer you to a DME and can provide you a rental while being repaired.

    Might try plumbers tubing for the frame it might help scratches better.

    Also in US there is no maximum cost for repair because its in its own category and not considered luggage but medical equipment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Sorry this happened.
    What about the casters? Can you add washers to the steering axle?
    I like the looks of your chair, but I bet you take an old clunker on the next flight.
    May be can try adding washer.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    So sorry for what you are going through...

    In the states its different the airlines should refer you to a DME and can provide you a rental while being repaired.

    Might try plumbers tubing for the frame it might help scratches better.

    Also in US there is no maximum cost for repair because its in its own category and not considered luggage but medical equipment.
    yup, I should use plumbers tubing.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I had forgotten about SeanCo. I'm happy to be reminded of them, but this is a terrible way to remember. I hope you get after them- out of curiousity, what airline was it?

    Here in Canada the 2 major airlines have limited their liability to a maximum of $1400. Which as anyone who has ever ordered a wheelchair knows is a pittance. I flyl within North America 6-8 times a year and it's always stressful. The likelihood of something happening is low but it is not unheard of. The problem here was that there were people abusing their old policies and committing fraud tot get new equipment.

    Last year I had my rugby wheelchair bent. One of rear anti-tip caster barrels was bent over 6 degrees - visible to the naked eye. You could see in the aluminum where it had contacted the pavement. They had to have dropped (or thrown) it from quite a distance because rugby wheelchairs are made to withstand incredible impacts.

    I took many photographs showing the damage and wrote a very descriptive email and sent it to the airline. It was a U.S. airline and they were awesome - I got a brand new chair no questions asked.
    Air Asia airline
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Similar Threads

  1. A question about travel and chronic pain meds
    By all-buggered-up in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 06:42 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2002, 02:15 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2002, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •