Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airbnb to offer more accessible rentals

When we travel my wife and I prefer to stay in a hotel. At least someone is there to listen to and remedy any complaints about accessibility. That said, I am glad Airbnb will be including wheelchair accessible units in their listings.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I live near Disney Land and have often wondered about renting out my house to vacation travelers who need wheelchair access.
    I would !! Its hard to find place with true access!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Most of the able bodied people I know use AirBnB because they want to get away to some place special with even more comfort and amenities and location than home. Why shouldn't the be the case for someone with a disability, i.e., enjoying something on vacation that you may not be able to afford at home.

Life for us isn't always about leveling the playing field...

In this case just like other on demand services this is about preventing lawsuits and class actions like Uber.

If it works for you by all means.

But a hotel will always give you more accommodations and you have more chance of less more going wrong.

[QUOTE=RollPositive;1844380]Life for us isn't always about leveling the playing field...

Equal opportunity?
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-20-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Luxury does not equal accessibility. The most in-accessible "accessible" room I have stayed in was in the JW Marriott Essex House on Central Park South. 800 bucks a night and was horrid wrt to accessibility. Even though they are "bargain" Holiday Inn Express hotels are uniformly accessible. That being said most SPG high end location (Westin, Le Meridian, St. Regis) are very accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

While it is great to have sufficient money to stay in high-end hotels when you travel, that is not the case for many in the disability community. As a single woman traveling alone, I feel a lot safer staying in a owner occupied AirBnB than in a large hotel, no matter how luxurious.

(KLD)

I had my condo listed on Accomable and it had a comprehensive questionnaire of accessible the features of the property so the properties were vetted but had a small base to try to make money off of so we'll see how it fares. My listing on Accomable was a free and I haven't heard from Air BNB but won't be moving over to them. Here is the letter coming from Accomable explaining the plan if anyone is interested. Aloha Bruce

Dear Accomable community,

Today marks the start of an exciting and historic new chapter in our mission to make travel accessible for disabled people around the world. I am delighted to announce that the Accomable team and myself will be joining the Airbnb family to share our unique knowledge and expertise to make one of the world’s largest travel communities more accessible, and to enable Airbnb to fulfil its mission to create a world where anyone can truly belong anywhere.

I launched Accomable with my childhood friend, Martyn, a little over two years ago in simple beginnings. Back in early 2015, I was still learning to code and the Accomable journey was started with a basic web app that I hacked together in my bedroom over a caffeine-fuelled three weeks. Accomable started less as a company or a product but more as a mission and a dream. A mission to open up travel and adventure to hundreds of millions of disabled people; and a dream that one day, I, as a disabled person could travel the world just like everybody else.

We’ve chased that dream relentlessly since the very beginning. We’ve built an extraordinary team - Shona, Suzanne, Chris, Uel, Katie and Luke who’ve put their heart and souls into advancing our mission and who’ve always gone above and beyond the call of duty. We’ve raised investment from amazing individuals; and worked together to build a company from absolute scratch. We’ve fought hard to recruit every accessible property, help every traveller and done everything we could to create an awesome experience for anyone looking for an accessible place to stay.

Our decision to join Airbnb was one that we spent a long time considering. Our work has allowed us to develop unrivalled expertise in the world of accessible travel, building a brand which disabled travellers can trust. I know many in the Accomable community gained comfort from the fact that Accomable was created with a focus on accessibility and I am very sensitive to the fact that some in our community may be concerned that accessibility will again become an afterthought that is drowned out within a larger platform.

As someone who built Accomable to address a need we all share in the Accomable community, I very much empathise with any nervousness you may have. To address this, the Accomable team and I have spent considerable time with Airbnb’s founding and senior management teams. During our time at Airbnb, we were left in no doubt that Airbnb shares our mission and we are convinced that joining Airbnb provides the best opportunity to take our dream and mission to a global level, using the current reach of Airbnb’s community to work together and make the world more accessible.

So you might ask what does this mean in practice?

I’ll be working with Airbnb’s team and leading our efforts to build upon and improve our accessibility features and filters. My team will be sharing our existing know-how with Airbnb’s various product teams and will work with the community to improve these continuously in the coming months. We will also develop new policies and features to ensure accessibility information is as accurate as possible.
    If you are a guest who has booked a trip via Accomable, we’ll be reaching out to you with instructions so you can continue on your vacation just as you planned. If you are a Vendor, we’ll also be contacting you to help ensure you can manage existing reservations and list on Airbnb so you can take advantage of the amazing platform, tools and technologies that Airbnb has created for hosts. Ultimately, Accomable’s website will redirect to Airbnb, but during the transition, Accomable’s listings will remain on accomable.com. Potential guests can reach hosts via an email address posted on each listing.
    My team will be working with existing Airbnb hosts around the world to find properties that could have suitable accessibility features and will work with such hosts to make their properties more discoverable with Airbnb’s new filters.
    We’ll be applying our expertise beyond the flagship Homes business and working with teams in Trips and future product lines to make sure that accessibility is at the heart of Airbnb and usable to people with accessibility needs.
    At Accomable, despite our best intentions, we sometimes struggled due to a lack of resources to cater for users with disabilities beyond those which are mobility based. This was something that greatly frustrated me. At Airbnb, we can now drive forward all existing efforts to make sure Airbnb can accommodate as wide a variety of disabilities as possible.
    We’re not going to rest at making the Airbnb platform more usable. We’re going to work tirelessly to grow the Airbnb community and to empower disabled entrepreneurs to share their homes and create awesome local experiences for visiting travellers.
    I’ll be working with the Diversity and Belonging team to make sure that Airbnb is doing everything it can to make sure that it is a great place to work at if you have a disability. As such, I’ll be helping create new initiatives to increase the numbers of disabled applicants.
    I see this as just the beginning of something that will be a profound game changer in the world of accessibility. I will continue to be an advocate and champion for better accessibility and for the use of technology to help disabled people. Innovation and creativity will always be at the heart of any team I’m responsible for, so stay tuned as we try to push the boundaries on everything from cutting-edge new technology to empowering new community partnerships!

It’ll take some time to implement many of these goals, so bear with us over the coming months! I also want to be available and open to feedback on what we can do better and will be operating a series of channels that will help ensure we can stay connected and I can hear your ideas. You can also reach us by emailing accomable@airbnb.com.

You might think that this sounds a lot – it is! But it is a challenge that I relish and one that I see more of a calling than a job – as it gives my team and me the chance to improve the lives of millions of people around world.

All the best,

Srin

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Luxury does not equal accessibility. The most in-accessible "accessible" room I have stayed in was in the JW Marriott Essex House on Central Park South. 800 bucks a night and was horrid wrt to accessibility. Even though they are "bargain" Holiday Inn Express hotels are uniformly accessible. That being said most SPG high end location (Westin, Le Meridian, St. Regis) are very accessible.
    I think with the right direction and understanding of hotels you can be very specific on needs and wants.

So sorry on the Essex some of those older iconic hotels are far from perfect but there are a lot of newer boutique hotels that have really good accessible accommodations and newer more open minded managers and staff that understand our dollars mater and most can be very accommodating in meeting our needs.

We just came back a few months ago with a room rate upgraded for less than $200 and short block to Central Park.
    https://empirehotelnyc.com/

Starwoods is now owned by Marriott so the brand is changing.

One summer we had made arrangements with Affina brand and Affina NYC/50 only to get there are the door size was to small.

The GM walked around and showed us 10 + rooms and none of them worked.

She sent us away on a nice lunch and picked up the tab, when we returned a room was ready with a huge flower arrangement and fruit basket and a bottle of wine.

We had been upgraded no charge to the penthouse with 2000 sq foot room with full kitchen and massive balcony overlooking the city!!
    Last edited by RollPositive; 11-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.

[QUOTE=gjnl;1844382]
    Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Life for us isn't always about leveling the playing field...

Equal opportunity?

Life is what you make it...While you are waiting for equal opportunity why not just enjoy, accessibility is alive and well for our community when traveling and if you wait for equal opportunity it might come in our life time but I would hold my breath.

But we can still enjoy the great times and experience travel with minimal efforts.

Sometimes those on the fence about travel see and read those posting all the negatives and that will influence them not to travel for fear of not being able to overcome challenges!

If anyone ever needs help we are more than willing to help with direction, advice, we have even called and found arrangements for those who could not find accommodations on there own.

Outdoorsy.com and rvshare.com are both offering wheelchair accessible campers and motorhomes too. As far as accessibility and luxury, I do not believe you have to give up one for the other. This spring we purchased a Newmar Ventana Floorplan 4311. It is luxurious. We put a lift in above the bed because I am a C4 complete. It has a roll in shower with shower seat and grab bars in the bathroom. It also has the braun lift built in it from factory for getting in and out of the motorhome. You can go from the front to the back of it with the slideouts in. I will put pictures on in the next couple of days because we are going to rent it out during the winter anyhow.

Thanks for the vaguely condescending response. I travel mostly for business and pick hotels based on their location to where I have to be. As long a room has an ADA toilet and either a roll-in shower or tub w/ rails I can make due. I have neither the time or patience to look at "10+ rooms", that being said I have never had to.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    I think with the right direction and understanding of hotels you can be very specific on needs and wants.

So sorry on the Essex some of those older iconic hotels are far from perfect but there are a lot of newer boutique hotels that have really good accessible accommodations and newer more open minded managers and staff that understand our dollars mater and most can be very accommodating in meeting our needs.

We just came back a few months ago with a room rate upgraded for less than $200 and short block to Central Park.
    https://empirehotelnyc.com/

Starwoods is now owned by Marriott so the brand is changing.

One summer we had made arrangements with Affina brand and Affina NYC/50 only to get there are the door size was to small.

The GM walked around and showed us 10 + rooms and none of them worked.

She sent us away on a nice lunch and picked up the tab, when we returned a room was ready with a huge flower arrangement and fruit basket and a bottle of wine.

We had been upgraded no charge to the penthouse with 2000 sq foot room with full kitchen and massive balcony overlooking the city!!