Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airbnb to offer more accessible rentals

Airbnb to offer more accessible rentals

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/tech...ble/index.html

Airbnb's site will incorporate Accomable's listings, which offer step-free access, photos and detailed information on accessibility. The companies didn't elaborate on when those features will become available on Airbnb.com.

Nice to see a 'mainstream' company buying into accessible options. I remember meeting Srin at the Abilities Expo in San Jose last year and thinking that it was an interesting business. Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/tech...ble/index.html

Airbnb's site will incorporate Accomable's listings, which offer step-free access, photos and detailed information on accessibility. The companies didn't elaborate on when those features will become available on Airbnb.com.
    Yeah! Sounds like a good plan...but "Step Free Access," is only a teeny bit of the problem. What about once you get into the accommodation..how accessible is it then????? What accessibility features are inside...sink access, toilet access, etc. I've been in many accommodations that don't have steps, but once inside what accessibility features do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Yeah! Sounds like a good plan...but "Step Free Access," is only a teeny bit of the problem. What about once you get into the accommodation..how accessible is it then????? What accessibility features are inside...sink access, toilet access, etc. I've been in many accommodations that don't have steps, but once inside what accessibility features do you have?
    Very true. The problem is, most don't understand what it means to be useable. When Wise designed our lab at Rutgers in 1997, of course he wanted to make it accessible, but also made sure it was useable by a quad scientest.

I like that this is happening. Details and pictures posted by owners will really help but in most cases you talk to the owner anyway so you could ask specifics at that time.

Remember this is never going to give you the true comfort of one's home that took years to make just perfect for one's disability. Chances are nothing is going to be perfect. It's not meant to be.

But it gives others in our community other options vs just hotels.

Getting true accessible is as simple as asking user specific questions and to learn as a customer o be flexible and make your own accessibility while you traveling.

As I have posted before we travel a lot and accessibility is really have issues. We have learned what I need and with technology we work with hotels and simple pictures and video of the rooms prior to arriving so we dont have any real surprises.

We like hotels vs rentals because we like to be pampered with housekeeping, room service and hotel amenities.

Besides if something was to go wrong we have a better chance of making it good with other hotel room inventory.

I think this is great. I have checked Accomable before, but they had very few listings. If AirBnB is serious about serving the mobility disability community, they will set standards for which of their listings can list as fully accessible, which include access to the place, bathroom door width and features, etc. I happened to stay in an AirBnB in Oregon last year that was fully accessible...the resident owner was also a wheelchair user (SCI), and she had all the accessible features detailed on her AirBnB page.

While it is great to have sufficient money to stay in high-end hotels when you travel, that is not the case for many in the disability community. As a single woman traveling alone, I feel a lot safer staying in a owner occupied AirBnB than in a large hotel, no matter how luxurious.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It is a step forward in that with the power of Airbnb it will be the go to site to advertise rooms not having to look at a number of different websites and decide where to advertise. It'll make it a lot easier when searching for rooms as well. I always have a care team to pay for so a place with a couple of rooms would help me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Remember this is never going to give you the true comfort of one's home that took years to make just perfect for one's disability. Chances are nothing is going to be perfect. It's not meant to be.
    Most of the able bodied people I know use AirBnB because they want to get away to some place special with even more comfort and amenities and location than home. Why shouldn't the be the case for someone with a disability, i.e., enjoying something on vacation that you may not be able to afford at home.

I live near Disney Land and have often wondered about renting out my house to vacation travelers who need wheelchair access.