Thread: Very High Quad on Vent With Trach Who Uses Chin to Type Messages

Very High Quad on Vent With Trach Who Uses Chin to Type Messages

Person currently uses a 2-button devise which allows for chin to select one button to choose a letter from the alphabet and a second button to accept the letter to type a short message. Cannot speak. Has to blink eyes to answer with a yes or no to questions.

Currently has no equipment which would allow the user to turn on speaker and then adjust volume. Am looking for a device of this type. Any suggestions?? Where to look??
    Last edited by 6 Shooter; 11-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Has this person tried using a computer with eye gaze control/mouse?

Have they tried using a sip-and-puff mouse device such as the Jouse2 or Jouse 3, or QuadJoy, or QuadStick? or the TetraMouse?

A good environmental control unit (ECU) can be integrated these devices above to run a wide variety of electronics including turning on/off fans, radios, etc. and controlling nurse calls, TV, electronic door and curtain openers, lights, telephone, etc.

Has this person sought out consultation with one of the high-tech disability assistive technology programs in their area? Are they also in Texas?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Not in Texas--Europe. Do not know what has been tried, but currently just uses a chin button. Am looking for names of companies who sell various devices which could be used with a chin type button(s) to control several electronic devices. Person cannot use a sip-and-puff mouse device due to trach and vent. Eye glaze control may be a possible technique If I could do some research to understand its use and features.

Many vent users can use sip-and-puff controls. You just need to be able to hold and pull in or expel air with your cheeks.

Where in Europe??

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'd suggest looking at a quadjoy https://quadjoy.com/product/quadjoy-...quadjoy-3-unit and controlling mouse position with it using lips or tongue and trying sip/puff, I'm vented with trache and can use sip and puff. I know and respect that we all have different abilities but it might be worth a try. If sip/puff is impossible then instead of having a switch install dwell click software, he then just needs to keep the mouse steady over a link or command and it will auto click. I'm typing this using dwell click and an on screen keyboard. head mouse as I am only c3 and have neck movement. I've got full control over my computer other than logging in when my dwell click software and onscreen keyboard aren't available, I think that with Windows 10 you can do this. I play music via my computer linked by bluetooth to an amplifier, my tv provider allows remote recording from their website so I can set tv programmes to record. Just looking at home automation systems for heating that will be controlled by computer. I've tried switch interfaces and found them very difficult hence getting my computer to be my primary control. Most other mouse systems other than eye control need head movement.

Looking at other options this one might do but no information on purchasing in Europe http://www.quadstick.com/shop/quadstick-singleton

And this page shows options but I think might be biased to tetramouse http://tetramouse.com/compare.html

Just communicated with the guy at Tetramouse. Looks very promising as an option. Thanks KLD for the link. And, there are several possible units plus links to free software such as Click-N-Type.

Thank you both for your insightful input.

Another option: I've tried the Smyle Mousse software and found it to be pretty easy to set up and use. The software uses the camera on a PC to track your eyes so no additional hardware is required. I was browsing the internet and using Google Suiite applications. You can trial it before you buy it which is nice. This software is also integrated into some of the new communication devices from Tobii Dynavox. The user either smiles to "click" or rests the cursor on the selection for a "dwell click."
    https://smylemouse.com/

Sounds like this person needs both a communication device mounted on their chair AND eye gaze loaded up on a PC to try. It will probably be a combination of things that work. They are fortunate to have you helping!