Thread: Recommendations for Power Assist wheels

Recommendations for Power Assist wheels

Quick Bio

Injury: C-6 complete from diving accident in 1976...41 years post
    Health: Good

Hello All,

Due to age I want to buy a pair of power assist wheels. Does anybody have a recommendation of the latest and greatest that is currently on the market. These wheels appear to run around $5000 a pair and up, so I want to make an informed decision before buying. Thanks.

-Ronnie

I've been using the M-15 E-motion power assist wheels for almost 9 years now. I find them to do the job for me.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

look at alber twion heres a good review from fellow quad
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Are you also considering a system like the Smart Drive? A lot of people at your injury level that I know love theirs:

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am impressed with all of the power assists. To better answer your question we need to know what you want and need to accomplish. You said "power assist wheels". But is this mainly for indoor or outdoor, and how often would you need to transfer everything into a vehicle? Or maybe you have a ramp or lift. And how much off road and off hard surfaces are you thinking? It just helps to know.

At any rate, E-motions are popular removable hub motors. I've tried them at an Expo and liked them, but not as much as I did the more complete Tailwind chair. It and the ZX-1 however are not what you asked about. Check E-motions weight if you plan to load them in your car.

Quickie Extenders are similar to E-motions, but they have an external battery pack which I think is bulky.

The SmartDrive is fantastic, but very different as it is an add-on, has no reverse. However it is fantastically light weight and *very* portable. It is fairly simple to grab and go.

Incidentally if you are paying out of pocket, there is/was an M15 and a SmartDrive in the "Equipment & Services" section.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

as a c5-6 quad 30yrs post, I like "power on demand". for this the zx-1 fit the bill. the sd is great but just not the greatest for quads. why? braking and sloped sidewalks really created issues for me with it. imo it is perfect for paras.
    transporting the zx is the biggest issue I hear from ppl, I have a full size van, so not an issue for me. I leave it in the van a lot actually.

I like to push so I'm not ready for albers yet, but when I need more than just "power on demand" those will be my pick.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've been using the extender system for about 10 years. Good system. One does have to be careful about battery usage. If one is out all day and very active. You will need two batteries. I went from a manual chair to the extender system and then to a full power chair. I still use the extender system as a backup, whenever I have to go to a doctor/hospital and I need to be lifted out of the chair, and if my power chair is in the repair shop.

I haven't had any problems with it. After 10 years I did have a charger go bad on me. Both batteries and the charger are very expensive.

I have my extender system on a GP swing away rigid chair.

Twions are currently off the market due to regulatory issue with the FDA, but I've heard they will be available again fairly soon. They are a better option for quads now that they are available with Carbolite ergonomic push rims.