Thread: Insurance coverage of Kristalose

Insurance coverage of Kristalose

Medicare Part D apparently does not cover Kristalose, recommending lactulose. But lactulose makes me more nauseous than Kristalose, because of the taste. Is there some say to get Kristalose covered? I'm not sure that bad taste sounds that persuasive.

Have you tried appealing this through your Medicare D carrier? Each has a different list of drugs they cover. You have the right to appeal. Otherwise, if you have a Medicare D policy, you might want to do a search right now for companies that do cover this, and switch, since we are currently in the open enrollment season when you can make a change each year.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This may get you a one time rebate of $125 off a 30 day supply if you currently don't have insurance coverage for Kristalose:

https://sservices.trialcard.com/Coupon/KristaloseDirect

I’m looking into an appeal, but I don’t know to persuade an insurance company that one formulation of a medication makes me more nauseous than another, more expensive formulation.

You have to indicate intolerable side effect (Nausea, loss of appetite, malnourishment, weight loss, skin (or potential) skin breakdown, constipation ) . The truth is the truth.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Is there some chemical reason that I find lactulose so much harder to take than kristalose? They seem to have virtually the same ingredients. Lactulose has some dyes and fructose, is the only difference I think. But lactulose comes in a syrup that to me is nauseatingly sweet. By contrast, kristalose doesn't have too much of a taste, at least when you dilute it with plenty of water.

Also, how do I find out which Part D Medicare plans do cover Kristalose?

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Also, how do I find out which Part D Medicare plans do cover Kristalose?
    https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...ions/home.aspx

(KLD)