Thread: MRSA in My Bladder?

MRSA in My Bladder?

I was recently diagnosed with a UTI and they said I had MRSA in my bladder or my urine. How did it get there? I knew I had MRSA but never really gave it any thought. They put me on bactrim. Thanks.

MRSA can be acquired in a hospital or nursing home setting known as MRSA-HA. MRSA contracted out side of medical facilities is known as Community Acquired MRSA (MRSA-CA). Have you been hospitalized lately, had an out patient procedure?

MRSA-HA also expressed as HA-MRSA can be acquired in a medical facility setting by contact with contaminated wounds, hands, soiled linens and/or insufficiently sterilized instruments.

MRSA-CA also expressed as CA-MRSA is acquired by insufficient hand hygiene and/or direct contact with a person's contaminated bodily fluids or wounds.

Bactrim is one of the oral antibiotics prescribed for urinary tract infections cause by MRSA. Key to taking the antibiotic is a long course 14 days and then retesting the urine (Urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) a couple days after the course of antibiotics is finished to make sure the infection is not lurking around.

There's really no distinction between the actual strains of MRSA any longer (ie the hospital bugs are now the community bugs). No way to tell if it came from the hospital or home and it won't change treatment in any case.
    Sounds like you knew you were colonized, smokey. I'm assuming from a swab of your nose, since that's generally how the hospitals test people. It was probably growing on your skin as well (not a huge deal, non drug resistant staph is always on your skin and neither cause problems unless you get an infection). Hard to say how it got in your bladder, but bugs in your bladder generally got there by traveling up your urethra one way or another and if you have catheters that get shoved up your urethra from time to time that's a good bet as to how it got there.

In addition to the above, there is a chance that you did not catch it from someone else, but instead are a "converter". This means that you had a non-MRSA staph infection that converted to MRSA after exposure to antibiotics that cause it to develop resistance.

Regardless, if you are not symptomatic, normally nothing is done to treat MRSA colonization. In rare circumstances it will need to be treated (such as prior to open heart surgery), but the vast majority of treated non-symptomatic MRSA infections come back within 6 months of treatment. Was the recommendation for Bactrim made by an infectious disease physician?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Many people think of MRSA as mainly hospital acquired. I referenced MRSA-HA and MRSA-CA as a way of making it clear that MRSA is prevalent just about anywhere, gyms, schools, public restrooms etc. However, there are 2 types of Saureus: methicillin-sensitive S aureus (MSSA) and methicillin-resitant S aureus (MRSA) Of the methicillin-resistant strains there are two types: community acquired and healthcare associated.