Thread: Coffee cup burn on thigh

Coffee cup burn on thigh

Last evening I managed to burn my upper thigh with my hot coffee cup. Not a major burn but a burn none the less.
    When I went to bed I noticed the redness there and through sleepiness or being too casual, it was left and the resultant blister was discovered this morning.
    Looking back, I must have had the cup resting on my leg while watching the idiot box from my chair.

I have treated burns, bites, cuts, grinding abrasions and deep cuts (cutting off blade) with Aloe Vera with success before.
    So that is what I reached out for this morning.
    Initially I shaved the surrounding area and applied some gel. Later before going out to the Thames Steam Punk Festival, the blister was covered with the gel face of a leaf segment and held in place with a standard plaster.
    I will change the Aloe poultice(?) daily and post the results. I am expecting a good result within a week, although this may not be as successful as previously because the Aloe was not applied to the burn immediately; fingers crossed.
    The yellow on my left is chlorophyll stain from the leaves laying in my lap while bringing them inside. I could have held them in my teeth but the taste is so crap, I don't
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-11-2017 at 06:18 PM.

You sustained a second-degree burn (indicated by blistering). The major risk with this is of infection. I would recommend that you use triple-antibiotic ointment (like Bacitracin) instead of aloe, and keep it covered until the skin has grown over the burn area again...most likely this will take 10-14 days if not infected.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You sustained a second-degree burn (indicated by blistering). The major risk with this is of infection. I would recommend that you use triple-antibiotic ointment (like Bacitracin) instead of aloe, and keep it covered until the skin has grown over the burn area again...most likely this will take 10-14 days if not infected. (KLD)
    Hello KLD and thank you for your advice. If there is any sign of my treatment not appearing to give the results I anticipate, then I will reach for the antibiotic.

I changed the dressing and gave the burn some air time before redressing. It is looking much improved with the skin still intact, no breaking open of the blister.
    I have previously had severe finger pad burns with full distended blisters . This came about while seasoning some cast iron ware; I forgot to put oven gloves on both hands. Needless to say, my reaction was immediate. Plunge under slow running cold tapwater, then pad dry followed by Aloe leaf poultice that was held in place by latex glove. Dressings were changed daily, sometimes twice, with a hour or two interlude of fresh air exposure ( the skin had that wrinkled look from the moist Aloe). No broken blister, no loss of skin, no scarring.
    Admittedly my fingers, and in this case my thigh, have good blood supply.
    I will post images of the healing progress in a day or two

I am not advocating this treatment for others. If others wish to try this it would be their prerogative and option. This is my experience.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.

12-11-17
    The skin is still intact

13-11-17
    Improving

I would recommend Silvadene cream. It is what is used on burns and has an anti-infective property. If it opens and there is cloudy/colored drainage, then I would apply the triple-antibiotic ointment twice a day and use the Silvadene also.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hydrocolloid bandages are the best thing for this size. Earlier this summer I had a really bad burn about where yours is and used just bandages. I shaved the leg hair around the burn and the bandages stuck well for 3-4 days, then I would replace. It took probably 2 months of doing this, but it was a much worse burn that yours.

I've definitely done that before. Stuffed the starbucks cup between my knees while rolling around work... twelve hours later noticed a pretty rocking blister when I went to get ready for bed. At least yours looks like it's healing up nicely.

My daughter spilled a bowl of ramen she made in the microwave. Ended up in her lap and she immediately tried to get it off her lap but the damage was done. She had a couple nasty burns on her inner thighs. One of her PCA's mother works in a burn unit so they sent her pictures. She gave the same instructions as SCI-Nurse. They also chose very loose leg wear. Thankfully, it never popped and was never infected. Keep it covered!

I hope you guys came right without too much trouble.
    Immediate proper attention is key. Burns are a bugger especially problematic when we have no sensation.
    It is a lesson learnt the hard way and not an education I would recommend.
    I have had a few coffees since this burn and I now keep the cup well away from my lap. If I want to rest the cup I use a table; anything away from my body parts.
    Progress is looking good
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.