Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee cup burn on thigh

Now looking very well

I am sure that you have been on the edge of your seats, waiting for progress updates.
    Well, here is the latest.
    These images show the good progress in the healing of my burn.
    The first is 20-11 and the following is 23-11.
    I have left the Aloe dressing off this night as I feel that it has enough integrity. I will reapply another Aloe for the last day, tomorrow morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-23-2017 at 05:05 AM.

The Aloe gel stays moist for the day and some puckering(?) of the skin can be seen. It soon disappears after exposure to the air.

Burns take time to heal you may have some scarring but that could resolve in time
    thanks for the update

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Christ it's a little tiny burn.. Some neosporene and call it good. Have done that but not near as bad as my welding burns, it'll heal just fine

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Slow-runner, I saw the title of your Thread only just now. I clicked on it with the intention of telling you about the wonderful effect of putting the inside gel portion of the aloe vera leaf against the burned skin and keeping it in place with a bandaide. Imagine my surprise when I saw, not only your description of my exact proceedure, but a full-color spread of photos documenting the event. My heart lept!

I've done the same on bed sores. My 'heavy ammo' for difficult cases is drops of (food grade) Lugol's Iodine, and allowing the Lugol's to 'air dry' before bandaging.

I once had a huge supply of aloe vera, as local Texas grocery stores sell the fresh leaves. I ate the not-too-yummy slimy gel interior of the aloe leaves, but I was careful to save the tough outer part of the leaves along with whatever gel was still attached. I keep my stash of aloe in the door of the freezer,...the most accessible spot,...where I can grab a piece off the frozen roll for any burn emergency, whether from heat, sunburn, or chemical. My local Albertson's grocery store doesn't sell fresh aloe vera, so having the frozen aloe vera peel on hand is the next best thing. I will copy your success story to my tablet's note pad. Great job!

P.S. And I see that you have delicately sliced off the thorny edge of the aloe, just as I have on my frozen ready-to-use aloe.
    Last edited by Vintage; 11-24-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Hi AJ. The medicine cupboard does not contain any Neosporene. In this instance I was confident that the wound would heal easily using Aloe and exercising hygiene practice. The thread is my diary of how I chose to treat this burn with my favourite health plant.
    Agreed, it is not a biggy but I am thankful it wasn't larger. The size of the burn is neither here nor there; it serves to illustrate my method of treatment well enough.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-26-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Hello again Vintage; it has been a while since we last communicated. I hope that you are doing well.
    Yes, Aloe is great stuff for our health. I too used it as an interim treatment for a buttock tear that developed badly before I became aware of it. I used the Aloe for a few days before admission into the hospital and the results were marked.
    I am fortunate that my Aloe supply is readily available just outside off the deck, growing in the garage garden.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?259423-Coming-into-flower&highlight=Aloe+Vera

I am not sure about delicately slicing the spikey edge . I just quickly run a knife down both sides, then run the knife tip a small way in down the sides and tear the leaf in two. Then, if I am drinking the gel to treat my bladder or as a preventative, I scrape the gel onto a saucer with a tea spoon. When I have enough which is usually two decent sized leaves. it goes into a glass and down the hatch as quickly and tastelessly as possible. Job done.
    If I am using it topically, I will smear the gel where needed or apply as a poultice.
    ATB
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.

The aloe vera sold in my Texas grocery store are humongous. Seeing your photo at the link you gave, I see that your aloe is a different variety. The leaves that I buy have so much gel inside that after you eat it, there is still plenty of gel left attached to the leaf for other uses.

I make tea of marshmallow root for UTI's. It's effect is to dissolve debris in the urinary tract. And since marshmallows were originally made using real marshmallow root, no one can charge the tea-maker with malpractice! So, maybe you'll add marshmallow root tea to your herbal arsenal against UTI problems?

We have two foot long aloe vera leaves at grocery stores in Texas,...hence the term Texas-sized. (Though I can't be sure where this photo was taken.)

Leaves suitable for making juices

Being able to buy fresh leaves depends greatly on where you live. Remember leaves that contain gel which is suitable for drinking should be:

• From the Aloe Barbadensis Miller variety of Aloe Vera.
    • From a plant that is three to five years old

These leaves will be about 2 feet / 60 centimeters long.
    http://thealoeverasite.com/aloe-vera...era-leaves.php

Last edited by Vintage; 11-27-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Hi Vintage. Thanks for the reference, I will try that marshmallow root.
    I don't know what particular Aloe mine is except that the flower petal are orange and going off of that link, it is a pointer to good things.
    The blister damage is near gone except for some colour from the Aloe contact with the skin. that will pass too. I had three very very small patches where skin was shed after I stopped applying the Aloe and allowed the area exposure to the air.
    All good.

Congratulations on the good healing,...also for the excellent documentary!

Here is a link to The Herb Federation of New Zealand's aloe vera information. Thumbs up on your country's appreciation for the curative value of this plant.
    http://www.herbs.org.nz/aloe-vera-fact-sheet/

I'm re-posting here your photo of your aloe vera plant. I think it's called a Hedgehog Aloe Vera Plant.
    Last edited by Vintage; 11-29-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    Female, T9 incomplete