Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I am patching my ROHO

It's high maintenance to have to wash it every night. Even if you did wash your cover and cushion every night that only reduces the chances of a leak. It doesn't prevent it. You don't want to call it a flaw? Fine. Whatever you call it, there is an inherent problem with the design. Given their track record over an extended period of time, they have no excuse to not improve their cover. Why don't the add a lightweight breathable membrane to the cover to eliminate dirt particles from reaching the cushion?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the problem is dirt. Otherwise, it's design and/or manufacturing issue. Regardless, it is a reliability issue.

I have never heard of the "GEL", does it stay flexible? Does it hold up good over time?

I have used GOOP before, but it dries hard and after about 6 months it turns brittle.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What you describe seems more like a maintenance issue than a flaw in Roho cushions. Maybe those with these problems need to pay more attention to washing the cushion cover frequently, cleaning in between the cells regularly, and checking inflation of the cushion on a daily or every other day schedule.
    I like the ROHO but The covers do not seem to stand up as well as they used to and honestly I do not clean the cushion very often there is enough extra stuff to do without spending extra time maintaining a cushion. I always thought they should come with two covers, I mean what am I supposed to do while I am washing the cover. And I do not check inflation very often either. If I thought I had to do as you are describing I would check into another cushion but I really tend to stick with what is working and I think companies know that and do not go the extra mile and do things like include a cover to use while you laundry the cover.

I don't wash my cover or clean the rubber cells all that often either. I'm just saying if you have a life style that puts stress on a product you may need to spend a little more time on maintenance.

That said, like with most things, you usually only hear about what is wrong, what went wrong...you usually don't hear from people who have never had a problem with a product. On this site, we tend to hear about problems, not about successes, so I think we get a skewed perspective on many things, from wheelchairs, to catheters, to medical care and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I like the ROHO but The covers do not seem to stand up as well as they used to and honestly I do not clean the cushion very often there is enough extra stuff to do without spending extra time maintaining a cushion. I always thought they should come with two covers, I mean what am I supposed to do while I am washing the cover. And I do not check inflation very often either. If I thought I had to do as you are describing I would check into another cushion but I really tend to stick with what is working and I think companies know that and do not go the extra mile and do things like include a cover to use while you laundry the cover.
    Ride gives you two cushion covers with each cushion you purchase.

Despite what GJNL says about the feedback on this site being mostly negative, the majority of the comments I have read about Ride cushions are positive. It's the ROHO that gets the negative comments. That doesn't mean it's a bad cushion. It just means that it is more problematic. I think we all know that goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Ride gives you two cushion covers with each cushion you purchase.

Despite what GJNL says about the feedback on this site being mostly negative, the majority of the comments I have read about Ride cushions are positive. It's the ROHO that gets the negative comments. That doesn't mean it's a bad cushion. It just means that it is more problematic. I think we all know that goes without saying.
    I know I post positive things about products but sometimes they get no attention and this was not negative just wondered how long ago they stopped putting toothpicks in the patch kits. A lot of people do not like quickie chairs but I have had great service out of them my first one lasting me 10 years and the second one over ten years and that is using them for handcycling as well By the way I am guessing that that patch kit is from 1995 I am guessing it came with my First ROHO I got injured in 1991 and my first cushion was a JAY

heres one on tires
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-MTB-City-Tyre
    Last edited by djrolling; 11-13-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    It's high maintenance to have to wash it every night. Even if you did wash your cover and cushion every night that only reduces the chances of a leak. It doesn't prevent it. You don't want to call it a flaw? Fine. Whatever you call it, there is an inherent problem with the design. Given their track record over an extended period of time, they have no excuse to not improve their cover. Why don't the add a lightweight breathable membrane to the cover to eliminate dirt particles from reaching the cushion?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the problem is dirt. Otherwise, it's design and/or manufacturing issue. Regardless, it is a reliability issue.

Because the cover design is integral to the therputic value of a Roho cushion. Especially when it comes to sheer forces. It has to stretch, generously, in multiple directions, and slide with minimal friction over the rubber cells. Don?t know of a stretchable breathable membrane. Is there such a thing? They even warn against putting anything else between your butt and the cover, like a towel. It greatly affects the therapeutic and preventative value of the cushion.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

That's makes sense. Guess dirt's going to get through and people have to accept that there's nothing you can do to prevent a ROHO from leaking. Besides, they make me sweat and don't offset my hip obliquity. Not the cushion for me.

Blog Entries
    I ageee they aren?t ideal for everyone. I?ve used them and Stimulite cushions off and on for the past 12 years and have come to accept certain compromises in exchange for certain benefits. Have yet to find ?The One Cushion to Rule Them All?!
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

ROHOs are fine for the shower and the swimming pool. But then again so are the Stimulites without the potential for a leak.