Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I am patching my ROHO

So I am patching my ROHO

I have recently moved and you know how you find things you never knew you lost track of well I found a couple of ROHO patch kits that I had never opened and the cushion that I am currently sitting on that I have two patch jobs on one side went pretty much flat(two chamber cushion) and so I am looking at it and notice the first patch job I did which I used bike tube patches, the edges seem to be sticking up a bit so I got some more glue went around the edges and glued it down good and figured problem solved. Well during the day today I check the cushion and it is slack again so when I get home I check things out and the patch I did last night is still firmly in place So I pull the cover completely off to see the other cell I had previously patched with a ROHO patch and most of that one has peeled off(maybe I did not clean area good enough when I patched it) so I gently pull and remove the old patch and get out one of the patch kits that I found while moving and one of them has two tooth picks in it so of course I opened that one because I was wondering why it came with tooth picks and I read the instructions on how to find leak and patch cushion and come to find out the tooth picks are to stick in the hole once you find it to mark the hole. I was like are you kidding me? I would be afraid it would make the hole bigger. And the "patches" are small round and black in color.

So I guess I wrote all that to ask this. Anyone have any idea how old that patch kit is? I know others I have used did not have tooth picks in them and the patches were square and two different sizes. I was just wondering.

By the way I used the little round black patch and will let you know if it holds up. This is a cushion my brother picked up at a yard sell for $19.00 probably 5 years ago so I have certainly gotten my monies worth out of it....

I've always patched mine with the little kits for patching bicycle tubes. I probably had 7 different patches on my last cushion before I couldn't fix it any longer. I don't think I ever received a patch kit with my cushion, but maybe I did and I just threw it away immediately.

I don't know what your levels of injury are (posters above) and why your Roho cushions have these problems. I'm c6/7 complete and have been using Roho cushions for 20 years and in that time have only had to patch two holes in 4 cushions. I am always amazed at these kinds of posts that pop up now and then about Roho cushions and the need for patching.

Are some of us just tougher on our cushions than others depending upon of levels of injury? I don't understand what must be going on or what is the difference in experience.
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-10-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I don't know what your levels of injury are (posters above) and why your Roho cushions have these problems. I'm c6/7 complete and have been using Roho cushions for 20 years and in that time have only had to patch two holes in 4 cushions. I am always amazed at these kinds of posts that pop up now and then about Roho cushions and the need for patching.

Are some of us just tougher on our cushions than others depending upon of levels of injury? I don't understand what must be going on or what is the difference in experience.
    Well I am a T 7/8 and I consider myself to be pretty active. I have an attachment for my chair and cycle 7000 plus miles a year and I work on things but I am really surprised that I get holes in them as well. I can never figure out what caused the hole. I mean I have had 5 ROHOs over the years and I still have 4 of them two that I am currently using, 1 patched one no patches yet and two that have a leak that I have to patch and just have not got around to doing it. In our last house we did not have a tub so it is hard to find leaks using the kitchen sink but we have a tub now so maybe I will get the other two fixed.

My experience with ROHO's is that after about three years the rubber seems to get thinner and leaks are more likely. Usually start slow. I have had good luck using bike tire patches. Call 'Super patch' or similar. Small, clear, flexible, thin, cheap, and seem to work well. I think I actually have several in my wallet now. I also have used Dap silicone sealant for slow pinprick leaks. Got to find them first though. Just spread the sealant over the area, wait a while, and then another coating. I try to let dry overnight. These patches do seem to start to peel after a while, so may need to be redone before the cushion is beyond use.

On ROHO patch kits, yes I have seen them with the toothpicks. Not sure when, and like you, don't think the toothpicks are a good idea.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

Reasons why some people never get a ROHO leak while others get many include activity, weight, inflation pressure, and geographical location. The more active and outdoors you are, the more the chances for dirt particles being projected from the tires onto your cushion and pants (which falls into the cushion). ROHO covers are thin enough for your body weight to push that dirt through it. Forcing dirt into the rubber will cause a leak. It's just a matter of time. This problem is exasperated with under-inflated cushions and weight. Under-inflated cushions result in greater friction over more surface area. The heavier you are the more you force the dirt into the rubber. If you live where the dirt is sandy, then your chances of a leak increase because of the sharp edges of sand.

Worst case scenario is if you're a heavy person spending most of your time outdoors by the beach and your cushion is under-inflated. You're going to get a leak sooner than later.

I have found major success with Gorilla Glue "GEL" . works wonders and seals the hole/puncture up completely. very easy

I use shoe goo to patch mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    I have found major success with Gorilla Glue "GEL" . works wonders and seals the hole/puncture up completely. very easy
    Even Gorilla Glue Tape, cut out to fit the size of the leak may work well.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Reasons why some people never get a ROHO leak while others get many include activity, weight, inflation pressure, and geographical location. The more active and outdoors you are, the more the chances for dirt particles being projected from the tires onto your cushion and pants (which falls into the cushion). ROHO covers are thin enough for your body weight to push that dirt through it. Forcing dirt into the rubber will cause a leak. It's just a matter of time. This problem is exasperated with under-inflated cushions and weight. Under-inflated cushions result in greater friction over more surface area. The heavier you are the more you force the dirt into the rubber. If you live where the dirt is sandy, then your chances of a leak increase because of the sharp edges of sand.

Worst case scenario is if you're a heavy person spending most of your time outdoors by the beach and your cushion is under-inflated. You're going to get a leak sooner than later.
    What you describe seems more like a maintenance issue than a flaw in Roho cushions. Maybe those with these problems need to pay more attention to washing the cushion cover frequently, cleaning in between the cells regularly, and checking inflation of the cushion on a daily or every other day schedule.
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-12-2017 at 12:16 AM.