Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperately Need Help to Get Rid of Chronic UTIs

i clean everything including bathroom countertops with straight bleach. have u been checked for hydronephrosis and blocked ureter from kidney to bladder?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

A quadriplegic friend has had botox to return to her bladder volumes ... it seemed to work for a little while. My bladder has shrunk from an indwelling foley and at first, my uro in Toronto was going to try it and then a few months later she was deadset against it ... so it seems the jury is still out on it.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hi weelz58. I use Aloe Vera from my garden to clean up any infection and to prevent stink piss.
    Sometimes the prevention protocol doesn't work well because I get complacent. That is when the clean up phase comes into play. I drink plenty of it and let it do its work. It works for me.
    Last evening I managed to burn my upper thigh with my hot coffee cup. When I went to bed I noticed the redness there and through sleepiness or being too casual, it was left and the resultant blister was discovered this morning while readying for a day out at the Thames Steampunk festival. A great day.
    I will treat this with Aloe and show the results in another thread.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-13-2017 at 03:11 AM.

I had a problem with chronic UTI, from ESBL E. coli. Infections would return within 2 to 3 weeks of treatment with oral antibiotics. Resistance became an issue. I finally got some traction when an Infectious Disease doc focused on my prostate. Got a fluid sample and it turned out that I had 2 bugs living there. A 21 day course of Ertapenem IV and concurrent 14 days of Amoxicillin broke the cycle. I am now extra fastidious about cleaning everything in my bathroom and shower chair with Cavicide One and CaviWipes which are effective against ESBL E.coli. Hope you find a solution. Good luck!

My UTIs eventually resulted in me having an illeal conduit constructed and having my bladder removed in 1970. I have not had an infection since then. It was a life changer for me. if you cannot get your UTIs under control, you might want to discuss this with your urologist.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs. View Post
    My UTIs eventually resulted in me having an illeal conduit constructed and having my bladder removed in 1970. I have not had an infection since then. It was a life changer for me. if you cannot get your UTIs under control, you might want to discuss this with your urologist.
    My uro in Toronto wanted to do that with me but it scared the hell outta me. I assume you're always attached to a bag .. at the time she said this bag could be inside as well but my body rejects everything.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Hi fuentejps. I use Aloe Vera from my garden to clean up and to prevent stink piss.
    Sometimes the prevention protocol doesn't work well because I get complacent. That is when the clean up phase comes into play. it works for me.
    Last evening I managed to burn my upper thigh with my hot coffee cup. When I went to bed I noticed the redness there and through sleepiness or being too casual, it was left and the resultant blister was discovered this morning while readying for a day out at the Thames Steampunk festival. A great day.
    I will treat this with Aloe and show the results in another thread.
    I would highly suggest using bleach to clean your bathroom and countertops were any of your catheter supplies go as well as any drainage bags can never be too careful nothing is going to work better than bleach
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My uro in Toronto wanted to do that with me but it scared the hell outta me. I assume you're always attached to a bag .. at the time she said this bag could be inside as well but my body rejects everything.
    I think you are confusing a neobladder (like a Koch or Indiana Pouch) with an ileal conduit. The former is emptied by intermittent catheterization and replaces your bladder with a segment of bowel, while the latter requires the use of an external appliance.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post

i wear a urostomy appliance, having a stoma 2.5 inches to the right of my naval. ! change it every 4 days. When I am up the appliance drains into a leg bag;At night a bedside drainage bag. No sterile procedures required, just common sense cleanliness. The procedure is most commonly used these days when someone has bladder cancer necessitating removal. It is major surgery. Eventually my UTIs drove me to "cure me, on kill me" desperation and I bit the bullet. I wish I had done it a couple of years earlier.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

My apologies fuentejps. I addressed my response to the incorrect post (slaps forehead).
    Good advice from you though; thank you.
    My cath supplies are kept in a tupperware container and rinsed after use then sterilised with hot water there and then or if I am out, when I return home. I have a dedicated piss bottle for collection; that is rinsed after ever use also.
    I have Listerine antiseptic mouthwash in a small misting bottle (ex eyewear cleaner ) that I use when soap and or sanitary conditions are not available. I use it on my hands and where ever.