Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vBulletin does not recognize special characters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Try pasting in as plain text or I gues on a mac it's "match style". It a problem with the character encoding

I?ve been using an iPhone for posting here since they came out and haven?t ever had an issue until the past few weeks. Trying to nail down what changed and unless some backend update happened to the server/servers/cloud that hosts this site all I?ve got to go on is the recent iOS update. No info on character set included in the patch notes though.

As far as I know, there isn?t a way to natively generate plain text on an iPhone. Maybe there?s an app for ?dat.

What?s odd is that I can edit and save the quotes back into a post, and they also appear while previewing the post, it?s only during the initial submission and insertion into the database that the character encoding for quotes goes wrong.

Anyone else using an iPhone on the latest iOS experiencing the same thing?

ETA: Ok, looks like iOS 11.1.x has some Unicode text formatting bugs. There question marks appearing all over the internet in iOS 11.1 users posts. Apple rules. They say they fixed some Unicode bugs in 11.1.1 but some still exist, apparently.
    Last edited by Oddity; 11-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

The new IOS is crap. I constantly have to restart my phone because it loses it mind when it can't find the network in my garage. As a work around I put it in airplane mode until I get outside the garage and back in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I?ve been using an iPhone for posting here since they came out and haven?t ever had an issue until the past few weeks. Trying to nail down what changed and unless some backend update happened to the server/servers/cloud that hosts this site all I?ve got to go on is the recent iOS update. No info on character set included in the patch notes though.

As far as I know, there isn?t a way to natively generate plain text on an iPhone. Maybe there?s an app for ?dat.

What?s odd is that I can edit and save the quotes back into a post, and they also appear while previewing the post, it?s only during the initial submission and insertion into the database that the character encoding for quotes goes wrong.

Anyone else using an iPhone on the latest iOS experiencing the same thing?

ETA: Ok, looks like iOS 11.1.x has some Unicode text formatting bugs. There question marks appearing all over the internet in iOS 11.1 users posts. Apple rules. They say they fixed some Unicode bugs in 11.1.1 but some still exist, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The new IOS is crap. I constantly have to restart my phone because it loses it mind when it can't find the network in my garage. As a work around I put it in airplane mode until I get outside the garage and back in coverage.
    An update just dropped a few minutes ago, I wonder if it?s fixed....

???????????????

...sigh...
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    An update just dropped a few minutes ago, I wonder if it?s fixed....

???????????????

...sigh...
    I'm not using iOS. When I have the problem I described earlier, I am using MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.1.

That update yesterday with iphone was supposed to solve the ?'boxed A' problem ... I have a 6 and when it dies, never Apple again!

Hello Android.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    After more research and experiments, I participate in a number of forum communities, some that also use vBulletin, and I?m only experiencing character encoding issues here. Hmmmmmmmmm....