Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm cold all the time

I'm cold all the time. My legs are usually frozen and more so after walking the dog in the cold months. I allways bundle up and use an electric throw on the couch/chair and an electric blanket on the bed. Also have a hat on during the cold months even in the house.

When I'm outside, or messing around in my shop the cold doesn't bother me. When I'm sitting around the house is when I can seem to get warm enough, and it's mainly my legs that feel cold.

I need to find a way to wear long underwear but to much clothing under my butt could cause me to get cold sweats from AD. Do they make Leg Johns?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I need to find a way to wear long underwear but to much clothing under my butt could cause me to get cold sweats from AD. Do they make Leg Johns?
    When many of us think of "long johns," we think of those bulky, waffle cotton garments of days gone by. Do an internet search on "Base layer underwear." There are lots to choose from. Personally, I like Helly Hansen base layers. They are like a second skin, not binding or bulky. I wear them year round, summer a lighter weight, winter a heavier weight. The are pricey, but they last a long time.

When I rode and still had my bike, I wore Damart medium sleeved T's and Long Johns in thermolactyl (whatever that is? ) under my jeans and leather for Winter riding.
    They were 'you beaut' and cut out the chill and damp. Perspiration wasn't a chilling factor either as the fabric breathed. Up until I was introduced to Damart I had used wool; no comparison. Damart were more expensive than the other brands but the quality was superior to any other similar product. The weave was tighter and it kept its shape.
    I can recall working hard in my yard on cold windy days with just the T as a top, and never feeling cold or damp. The T's were long in the torso and kept the kidney area warm and dry. brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 11-12-2017 at 02:17 AM.

One of the best choices of material for base layer or long johns is merino wool. Excellent wicking and doesn't retain smell. Well worth checking out.

Couple of years ago I bought several 'neck bands', kinda fashion fabric that just fits the neck, or even wrapped double around the wrist, to give you an idea of the size. On cold days I wear one both in and out of the house and really notice it helps warm me. For guys, I guess a 'bandana' might achieve the same thing. In any case keeping the neck warm seems to help.

You need someone to knit you leg warmers Norm! lol
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Leg warmers are what you need. You can wear these either under or over slacks. Most are designed for women, but you may find some that meet your needs:

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/54700

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/53576

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/72872

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-T...g+warmers+mens

I made some for my mother out of a warm pair of sweatpants...just cut off at the top of the leg and sewed some elastic around the top. Not the most elegant, but they worked well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Couple of years ago I bought several 'neck bands', kinda fashion fabric that just fits the neck, or even wrapped double around the wrist, to give you an idea of the size. On cold days I wear one both in and out of the house and really notice it helps warm me. For guys, I guess a 'bandana' might achieve the same thing. In any case keeping the neck warm seems to help.
    Major brand in the UK is Buff. I wish that I could wear them but can't with a trache, I'm sure that not being able to zip layers up all the way doesn't help with my temperature.