Thread: Freedom Ryder Handcycle crank clearance?

Freedom Ryder Handcycle crank clearance?

I just bought a Freedom Ryder LC1 Leaner, when I got on it i'm way too large to clear the crank which is in sort of tight. Looks to be on it's lowest Adjustment. Anybody have any experience adjusting the crank on this bike for better clearance when a large person as myself rides this bike. Looks to be an adjustment to raise the crank, just don't know if that would really do much to give me more clearance. I'm just hopeful I can make this bike work, maybe this cycle is only good for smaller people. I use to have a Stage bike Freedom Ryder many years ago and that worked fine for me. It looks like the crank pivots outward away from me from what I see, have not really started trying to adjust it yet. Anyone here have experience with the Freedom Ryder LC-1, I know it is a pretty popular bike. I bought it here from a forum member in Florida.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

My LC-1 is at the bike shop right now getting a tune up as I am getting ready to sell it as we have down sized and I do not have room for all my bikes(no basement in the condo) so I cannot even look at it to see and It was like I needed it when I purchased it so I have not needed to adjust it. I guess the guy that had it before me was really close to my size but just doing an image search and looking at random pictures it appears that the cranks can be adjusted forward and backward but I would have to look at my bike to tell you definitively. I think the weight limit is around 250 and height 6'2" so the cranks should move forward and backward or how else could the bike be said to accommodate that weight and or height.

I sure hope I can get the crank forward enough for the bike to be comfortable, I'm going to mess around with it some tomorrow and see what I can do to make the bike fit me better.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I sure hope I can get the crank forward enough for the bike to be comfortable, I'm going to mess around with it some tomorrow and see what I can do to make the bike fit me better.
    Have you contacted freedom Ryder they should be able to tell you pretty quick

Hey Curt -

I have one of these and can help. You'll need a set of wrenches (or a crescent/adjustable) and a set of Allen/Hex wrenches.

You'll want to loosen 6 bolts at three places on the frame circled in red below:

The front bolts are to allow angle adjustments but the two sets we'll pay the most attention to are below

In more detail, here are the two sets of bolts:
    Set A adjusts length
    Set B adjusts angle
    You'll need to loosen both to achieve full adjustability.

Loosen the B bolts first. You don't need to take them off completely - just make sure they're plenty loose.

The A bolts allow one inner metal tube to slide out of the outer frame tube. Loosen these next.
    It's easiest to take these bolts out completely and slide the clamp they're attached to up onto the smaller circumference tube. You may need to nudge them up the tube with a hammer...

The inner tube should slide around, but may require a LOT of effort. A rubber mallet may help. Applying penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight may help. It's sliding the inner tubes in and out that will make the adjustments you need - the angle bolts allow for the tube-sliding.

You will most likely need to adjust the lower tube (crotch-level) length to move the cranks further away from your body. I'd leave at least an inch of the inner tube inside the outer frame tube.

If you need more length than the inner tube offers, remove both bolts, take off the inner tube, and bring it to a metal shop. They should be able to make you another, longer one as it's just a tube with a hole in it.

Replace and re-tighten all bolts.

Let me know if you have any questions

Great instructions Brian. You may need to add a few links to the chain to get full extension. I think I had to add five links to mine to get the height adjustment up enough.

Oops, posted in error
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Wow, Brian, great write up thanks so much. You made everything very clear. And thanks for the recommendation Patrick of having to add extra chain links, I have a feeling i'm gonna have to do this. I bought the bike from Justin (Badsign) here on Carecure, it was a great deal and the bike is in really good shape. It has the same HED Wheels your bike has Brian. I'm gonna have to adjust this quite a bit because the crank is all they way down now and it hits me in the mid section bad. I may have to add extra tubing like you suggested Brian. Again, really appreciate. I'd put in a call to Mike at Freedom Rider and texted him, checked with a old friend of mine who rides one of these bikes and called another friend, nobody got back to me, sometimes I think my phone is not working anymore lol. Good thing for these forums.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred