Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Hit a deer; need a rental!

If the repair is going to take some time, could you manage buying a used wheelchair van off Craigslist, and then reselling it when yours is fixed.? In my area, there are always older Dodge Caravans for sale it seems.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

WOW! It really lifts my spirits to see so much input! Triumph, not sure about civil action.....it IS a thought. Aggravation for sure.......money involved getting an attorney. Andy, I've thought about rigging temporary hand controls. Actually, I was thinking I'd need a 2 door to get the wheels behind the driver's seat, and a wider door opening. I guess they could go over to the pass. seat; more lifting. Will a chair fit over me in a 4 door car? Narrower door opening. Joe-MN, not in the budget to buy then sell a used van. Thanks everyone for these good suggestions! Still no news on how long it will take to do the work. They haven't heard from the ins. co. yet. Maybe the work a week. It's already been a week. Doesn't sound so bad, but IT IS!!!!

I drive a mid size station wagon as my daily driver (my mustang is the fun summer car) and sometimes a Hyundai Santa Fe (wife's car) and I can get my wheelchair(s) into all of them. My chair is a Tilite TRA and I have a ZRA for a backup chair. It can take a few tries to get the process down but it really is not a biggie in my case. Oh, I also have 25" spinergy's on the back. The 25" quick release wheels do not fit well in the front passengers side so I usually just lean the drivers seat all the way back and load them in behind the passengers seat, my cushion goes on the front passengers seat and then my wheelchair gets passed over my chest and I put it on the passengers seat with the front castors down into the boot tray.

I find it way faster and easier to have a vehicle without a power drivers seat as they seem to take forever to lean them back and slide the seat back then move it back into position unless they have the preset drivers settings, then it isn't quite so bad; however I am about as patient as a 6 year old on Christmas morning so...

I hope this makes some sense and you find it useful, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    I find it way faster and easier to have a vehicle without a power drivers seat as they seem to take forever to lean them back and slide the seat back then move it back into position unless they have the preset drivers settings, then it isn't quite so bad; however I am about as patient as a 6 year old on Christmas morning so...
    !
    Totally! I have a power recline seat in my winter beater, and that is a slow PITA. And it's mounted on the door for even more annoyance, lol. Manual recline is much quicker and easier for sure