Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Help! Hit a deer; need a rental!

  1. #11
    Did you get any indication on how long it's going to take for the repair from the shop? I would try contacting them and ask if they could exicute the work in a timely manner, since you're faced with this hardship. Not saying they will but it might be worth a phone call.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Can you believe that usual car rental places like Enterprise will rent a car with hand controls, or a van without, but not a van with hand controls? I could probably pull my chair into a van (without a ramp) but I can't drive without hand controls. I see no cars with openings wide enough to pull a chair into. I am SO frustrated! We have to use Enterprise for our ins. to pay and they don't put hand controls on their vans! Ludicrous! Sorry to be ranting, but we've talked ourselves "blue" over this with Ins. and Enterprise.
    Any chance you could rent a set of portable hand controls from your local DME Vendor and just have your hubby put them into the rental van for you? Just a thought. I don't have anything else helpful to suggest. You used to be able to rent a 2 door base model mustang and the doors open up nice and wide so you can pop your rear wheels off, toss them in the back and your rigid in the passengers seat or in the back behind the passengers seat. If enterprise can offer that and you don't need all the extra space, that might work for you... Sorry, got nothing else.

  3. #13
    The adjuster just left. Probably be next week before we hear from ins. co. My husband is going by the shop today(knows them) to get an idea how soon they can get on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Did you get any indication on how long it's going to take for the repair from the shop? I would try contacting them and ask if they could exicute the work in a timely manner, since you're faced with this hardship. Not saying they will but it might be worth a phone call.

  4. #14
    I had this same idea Jimmy. Husband says we could get in real trouble if we had an accident, or were stopped or something. I DO appreciate your suggestion about the mustang. "They" say I can't specify the TYPE car; just the category. We'll see. After many calls to ins. and Enterprise my husband got someone at Enterprise who SAYS she's going to try to work with us. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath. I'll feel better when I find out just how long this is all going to take. I appreciate all of the help here. I can always count on you guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    Any chance you could rent a set of portable hand controls from your local DME Vendor and just have your hubby put them into the rental van for you? Just a thought. I don't have anything else helpful to suggest. You used to be able to rent a 2 door base model mustang and the doors open up nice and wide so you can pop your rear wheels off, toss them in the back and your rigid in the passengers seat or in the back behind the passengers seat. If enterprise can offer that and you don't need all the extra space, that might work for you... Sorry, got nothing else.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,822
    All this talk about you.What about deer rights?
    This is Canada after all.

  6. #16
    Gotta keep the humor, I guess. Calling back today to see if I can at least specify a 2 door and see where that goes. So far, can't even get an answer. "hold"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    All this talk about you.What about deer rights?
    This is Canada after all.

  7. #17
    Well, I've reached a dead end. Part of this life, I guess. It's inconceivable to me that one can rent a 4 door car with hand controls or a van with no hand controls! I can rent a fully accessible van for $100+/day, but my ins. will not allow more $ for my situation. Very disappointing. We've talked to everybody. I'm having a glass of wine. Maybe that will help.

  8. #18
    You probably don't want to have the hassle, but it seems that a civil rights attorney could be consulted. It's not right that your insurance company won't help you.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    7,942
    A few thoughts...

    I used to have rental coverage on my insurance, but after finding it would pay something like $35/day, which would probably net me a fine clown car, I skipped that option and just figured it would make more sense to just pay the week or two of rental costs for something I'd like to rent should it be needed vs. paying a premium for such a coverage.

    An occasional hobby of being a curbstone used car dealer necessitated my purchase of some used portable hand controls for $100. Those and a roll of 3M doublesided foam tape (for modern plastic gas pedals) work wonders regarding driving any vehicle without functioning legs.

    It sounds like you are using a manual chair, so pretty much any car can be used then (larger is preferred). You would have to remove the wheels though, as I know of no car that one could fit an entire wheelchair into without doing so.

  10. #20
    What a great thread! A very good example of the huge impact this community can have by coming together and offering solutions to a very obscure problem.

Similar Threads

  1. ? for deer hunters
    By SCIfor55+yrs. in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
  2. Deer are on the move
    By Oldtimer in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM
  3. My Son First Deer!
    By tigger74 in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. Mad deer
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •