Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playful kitten puts holes in my leg bag!

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Playful kitten puts holes in my leg bag!

I?m not sure if this would be the correct forum but I need suggestions. I have a new very young kitten who uses my legs as tree trunks to climb up into my lap. Believe me we are working on training but cats don?t catch on too quickly and I don?t always have treats on me to reinforce when she behaves properly.

Anyway, this week alone I?ve had to replace my leg bags 3 times! Anyone have any ideas what I can cover it with? I don?t want to discourage her by shooing her away or punishing her because I NEED her to get up in my lap on command, I just need her to perfect her execution and/or have her go on the other side. Eventually she will be big enough that she won?t need to climb up my leg and will be able to jump. However, she also inadvertently uses her claws when playing and sometimes the land on my leg bag too.

So I was thinking something to cover it in the meantime will help keep me from constantly replacing it. Plus, can this cause some kind of infection???

Baseball shin guards?? Kevlar slacks or apron? Try covering your legs and lap with a thick lap robe...a good thick one would not allow their claws to penetrate all the way to the leg bag.

You could also try switching to a belly bag: https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Urine-B...nary+belly+bag

Be careful if you also have a Roho or other air filled cushion. I have seen cats put big enough holes in these that they collapse without you knowing it.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Strap your bag to the back of your leg?

Spacer fabric thicker than length of cat's claws. May want to protect legs too.

It doesn't stop after they're kittens either.

Get a dog!

Baby sat a cat for a week a while back. Was wearing a bag at the time as well. Cat manages to put a hole in the bag truyng to get up on my lap after realising the permanence of it. Promptly changed it and placed it behind leg. That worked... Might not work for some without the strength to lift own leg to empty the bag.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Baby sat a cat for a week a while back. Was wearing a bag at the time as well. Cat manages to put a hole in the bag truyng to get up on my lap after realising the permanence of it. Promptly changed it and placed it behind leg. That worked... Might not work for some without the strength to lift own leg to empty the bag.
    That's a good idea actually. Could you try to put the leg bag on the inside of your leg maybe? Or in the back like suggested. You'd have to twist it around to empty it of course, not sure if that's an option? I know my tubing has enough slack that it could work, I also only use a thicker strap at the top (not the flimsy ones that come with the bag) and none at the bottom so it's easy to twist it around if needed.

If you wanted a cover, maybe thick leg warmers on top? Dunno how the weather is where you are...

Nurse has a point, watch it if you have a Roho, my cat loves to climb on my cushions. Funny enough the cat hasn't punctured the Roho because I throw a towel if it's on my chair and I'm not in it, but my puppy did when it was on the living room chair.

I might get some flak but could you try trimming the nails a bit? Or would that mean she wouldn't be able to climb on your lap?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Thanks for the ideas. I never thought of putting it behind my leg. It’s already kind of to the inside but I’ll try repositioning it. Trimming nails only helps for a couple of weeks, plus I’ve never done it before and she’s not the most cooperative kitty. This is definitely on my list of things to learn to do. We had quite an experience the other day when I put a harness on her! She only scratched me a tiny bit and didn’t bite. We need to work on things like this for sure and am ordering some clippers today and lots of canned food to distract and reward her.

I put a square board to cover my roho, then use it as my night stand for my phone and tablet. Not had a hole yet with my cats.