Thread: X-Core wheels: hubs have come loose

Question X-Core wheels: hubs have come loose

I have been on these X-Core wheels for many many years and the hubs are getting loose, they have a good 1/8th inch of play in them. At the wheel that ads up to a good amount of side to side swappage. Are the hubs able to be tightened, or have these wheels lived their lifespan? when i say many years, i mean many!!

-OC

Are they loose from the bearings moving around in the counter-bores or are the hubs flexing?
    If the former, you could get a fresh set. Get a Dremel engraving tool (a sharp conical tip that vibrates in and out to engrave with) and rough up all of the outside faces of the bearings. Get some red Loctite. wet the distressed outer part with it as well as the recess. Don't use too much-you don't want it running onto the side-seals!
    Press them fully in and leave them for a day.

Or, you could just give them to me
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Unfortunately its not the bearings, its the actual aluminum part of the hub, you can rotate it a tiny bit, its like the carbon fiber bore has worn out. hmmmm you gave me an idea though, loctite in between the hub and rim.

epoxy
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    epoxy
    Agree! Just be sure it's a variety that isn't too viscous for it to be "poured" so it will penetrate the void.
    Patting it with a putty knife or your thumb will help that process. (like getting grease into a tapered (car) wheel bearing when re-packing them)
    NW NJ

I don't know if it still exists, but there use to be a green locktite that was for bearings. It would hold up better than the red under heat and side loads.

I agree with baldfatdad. FYI, There are a couple of Loctite "Green" formulations. You would want to use 680 Retaining Compound. It's designed for retaining bearings and filling gaps up to .015" /side. It is pretty much a permanent install unless you take a torch to the parts. I have used it in much more demanding applications and it's good stuff. Shim to center and true everything up before the Loctite too.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MarshSt View Post
    I agree with baldfatdad. FYI, There are a couple of Loctite "Green" formulations. You would want to use 680 Retaining Compound. It's designed for retaining bearings and filling gaps up to .015" /side. It is pretty much a permanent install unless you take a torch to the parts. I have used it in much more demanding applications and it's good stuff. Shim to center and true everything up before the Loctite too.
    Steve
    Yes! Definitely apply whatever you choose after putting axle pins through the pair of bearings to align them!
    NW NJ

I had a pair and that happened regularly. The aluminum hub needs to be tightened. I used a cheap wrench my father had for installing tail pieces on sink drains. The wrench size is about 2-1/4 inch. I remember having to do it every few months. I think I tried putting loctite on the threads but don't remember for sure. It was probably 15 years ago.