Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Clots in Bladder

Blood Clots in Bladder

My bladder has been filling up with several large blood clots. I had a cystoscopy and bladder scan and everything checked out okay, however, still keep developing clots. I am wondering if my suprapubic foley could be irritating the bladder. I?m thinking about trying something different, perhaps one made from silicone. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with similar issues? Thanks.
    C3/C4. Complete

What type of bladder scan? Was the cystoscopy done while you were bleeding? Have you had a urine cytology done (for cancer)? Cystoscopy may not reveal bladder cancer of the squamous cell or adenocarcinoma type unless biopsies of the bladder wall were done. Do you know if this was done during that study??

You can certainly change types of catheters, but in my experience heavy enough bleeding to create clots is rarely due to problems with catheter material, such as latex allergy.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The cystoscopy was not done while bleeding. It was done after the clotting had stopped. The blood work was done while clotting was present. The urologist could not think of what was causing all of the bleeding. It has since come back and is very heavy.
    C3/C4. Complete

Be very very careful. I had some bloody urine with tissue in December of 2016 and a scope came up clear. I was treated for a UTI and everything was fine till the bloody urine started again in July of 2017. I had another scope which showed a mass on my bladder wall. I had surgery to remove it but it was too large and attached to the bladder wall. The biopsy came back with stage 2 bladder cancer. It's a rare cancer and the thought is it was caused by SP tube irritation.
    ^^(A)^^

Unless you are taking blood thinners, the bleeding is coming from somewhere. Have you ever flushed the bladder? Clots will form and then break off causing continued bleeding.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Blood could also be coming from above the bladder (ie, the kidney). This can be a sign of kidney cancer. You need to insist that your urologist work you up for urinary tract cancer and at the very least, get a urine cytology done, and possibly a CT of your kidney.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had a permanent catheter 13 years ago and I have had clots many times, the urologist explained to me that it was normal and that the ball of the catheter rubs the walls of the bladder and produces small lesions that bleed. According to him the important thing is that ultrasounds of kidneys and bladder go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Resistencia View Post
    I had a permanent catheter 13 years ago and I have had clots many times, the urologist explained to me that it was normal and that the ball of the catheter rubs the walls of the bladder and produces small lesions that bleed. According to him the important thing is that ultrasounds of kidneys and bladder go well.
    You cannot detect bladder cancer with an ultrasound until it is very advanced. Everyone should be screened annually with urine cytology tests who has used an indwelling catheter for 5 years or more, and the risk goes up significantly after 10 years. A properly secured, safe (non-latex) catheter should not cause bleeding of this extent.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Be very very careful. I had some bloody urine with tissue in December of 2016 and a scope came up clear. I was treated for a UTI and everything was fine till the bloody urine started again in July of 2017. I had another scope which showed a mass on my bladder wall. I had surgery to remove it but it was too large and attached to the bladder wall. The biopsy came back with stage 2 bladder cancer. It's a rare cancer and the thought is it was caused by SP tube irritation.
    Sorry to hear about your situation. May I ask if everything has been rectified and what type of treatment you received? Do you still use a SP catheter, or did you need to make changes?
    C3/C4. Complete