Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair vs bike tyres and wheels

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    ETRTO is an ISO standard it's world wide.
    Unless you've found an Australian bike tyre manufacturing plant, you're buying imported tyres, therefore they'll be stamped with ETRTO numbers. (maybe freaking tiny sometimes but they'll be there).

Couple of Australian bike companies explaining tyre sizing for you.

https://adelaidebikeworkshop.files.w...tyre-sizes.pdf
    http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/con...-uk/d1097.html

Just go to the schwalbe site https://www.schwalbe.com/ when you search for tyres it gives you an option to sort by ETRTO sizes then you can see exactly what choices you have, find something you like, look at the product page.. and it'll give you the sizing in English, French, German or what takes your fancy.

Depending who I talk to my 662 tyres are 700C, 29", 28", or 27" at the end of the day if the tyre is stamped with 622 I know it'll fit my rim, no fuss.

I've got 25 inch Marathon Plus Evolutions and they have no size on them. First tyre I've ever seen without a size on it. Mind you I haven't seen inside the tyre as it is on a rim...
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I've been trying to get 25inch tyres for my chair, so I ring them up, get told, "Yeah. We have them in stock." Go to store to buy them. To be told "Who told you we had that size?". It's happened 4 times.
    Yes, there are several issues here. You firmly believe that you need 25" tires because that's how wheelchair tires are marketed as. But 25" tires don't exist as a standard size. So of course the bike shop doesn't have them.

Did you ever ask the shop techs to look at the tires you have? To measure them? Or did you hear the word "no" and just leave? Did they offer to help you confirm your tire size? Because if they held a 26" bike tire up to yours they would have seen that they were the same.

When you're dealing with people who don't know chairs you have to ask the right questions - good questions. You also have to be resourceful. Questions like "Well, what do you have?" and "What could you order?" and "Can you help me figure this out?" and "Can you confirm my tire size?" probably would have solved your problem immediately.

EVERYONE: this piece of equipment under our asses is our life. You HAVE to know everything about it: how to buy for it, how to fix it, how to size it. You have to ask good and educated questions. People who aren't in chairs will not know how to help you and will often assume they can't.

almost dropped au$500 on a pair of 26" bike rims thinking I'd always be able to get tyres and tubes for that size.
    If you bought 26" bike rims for your chair you would be able to buy 26" bike tires and tubes. I'm not sure how it could be any more clear and simple than that...?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    24" wheel is 540
    540, 520, 507, and 547 are all called 24". This is why ETRTO is so important!

Unfortunately the mountain bike tyres dont come in 1". They are usually well over 2". Not gonna fit on my rims

Schwalbe CX Pro comes in 35-559 (26 x 1.35")

These are true knobbies. Schwalbe also has a handful of narrower 559 tires that aren't knobby but have significant tread.

Australia doesnt use the ERTRO measurement system and websites with conversion tables confuse me no end... I found out that 26" tyres are hard to come by as well.
    As Will said, ETRTO is worldwide. Most tire companies are in Europe and North America and use this system. If you go to a bike shop that doesn't know what ETRTO is, GO TO A DIFFERENT BIKE SHOP.

There are literally tons of 26" tires out there. There may not be many on wheelchair websites, but Go to any bike website and look for tires in the XX-559 size.

I've got 25 inch Marathon Plus Evolutions and they have no size on them. First tyre I've ever seen without a size on it. Mind you I haven't seen inside the tyre as it is on a rim...
    It will not be on the inside of the tire. If your tires are old, the lettering may have worn off. But I assure you it was there when they were new.

Currently, Schwalbe only makes 540 and 559 sizes of wheelchair tires. NO ONE makes a size between 540 and 559. (the 547 size I mentioned earlier is an antiquated size and is not made anymore)

You have either a 24"/540 tire or a 26"/559 tire. I'm sorry you were confused by the whole 25" thing that wheelchair companies do. It's dumb and really unhelpful.

Australia doesnt use the ERTRO measurement system and websites with conversion tables confuse me no end. Mainly because they're focused on bike sizes. I heard tho, that a 25" wheelchair tyre is actually a 26" bike tyre. I most definately might be wrong tho. I found out that 26" tyres are hard to come by as well.
    I confirmed that 559or 25" in wheelchair is a 26 bicycle tyre. There are 100's if not 1000's of 26 " tyres, millions of bikes were made using 26" wheels. I work in the bike industry and know how many tyres have been shown to me to spec on bikes, a lot.

Australia definitely uses erto as bikes are imported from Asia but I think Velocity was an Australian rim maker and they used erto.