Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does the technique used for bladder irrigations make a difference?

does the technique used for bladder irrigations make a difference?

I've read on this forum some cautions against bladder irrigations and wonder if the reason for them is because of breaking the connection between the catheter and the drainage bag. I understand the reasoning, since you are possibly introducing more bacteria.

however, my husband has an idea-why not use a sterilized syringe with needles cleaned in alcohol to simply inject the solution into the port (the area we also take specimens from)? the connection would not be broken (I have a SP).
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    I've read on this forum some cautions against bladder irrigations and wonder if the reason for them is because of breaking the connection between the catheter and the drainage bag. I understand the reasoning, since you are possibly introducing more bacteria.

however, my husband has an idea-why not use a sterilized syringe with needles cleaned in alcohol to simply inject the solution into the port (the area we also take specimens from)? the connection would not be broken (I have a SP).
    I've had a supra pubic catheter for 7 years and have never had one with a specimen port. So, I've not experience with that system. My urologist instructed me to plug or clamp the catheter funnel, wait about 10 minutes, remove the plug or clamp and collect the specimen in a sterile specimen cup.

While I understand the rationale behind a closed system, I've not had good luck in maintaining one. I clean the leg bag twice a day and the night drain bottle once a day. I instill HydroCleanse or Theracyn AH (Microcyn Technology) daily...very effective in killing bacteria. I instill through the catheter funnel.

Some research shows less air exposure and therefore less infection. However, we see just as many infections with open and closed. However, you can't irrigate through a port and it be easy if you are using a 60 cc syringe. The pathway for bacteria is from around the catheter is still there.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've had a supra pubic catheter for 7 years and have never had one with a specimen port. So, I've not experience with that system. My urologist instructed me to plug or clamp the catheter funnel, wait about 10 minutes, remove the plug or clamp and collect the specimen in a sterile specimen cup.

While I understand the rationale behind a closed system, I've not had good luck in maintaining one. I clean the leg bag twice a day and the night drain bottle once a day. I instill HydroCleanse or Theracyn AH (Microcyn Technology) daily...very effective in killing bacteria. I instill through the catheter funnel.
    just out of curiosity-what is a "night drain bottle"? also, where do you buy these products?

I'm so grateful for your counsel and suggestions on this forum-I'm sure that you help many by sharing your experience!

^^(A)^^

just out of curiosity-what is a "night drain bottle"? also, where do you buy these products?

I'm so grateful for your counsel and suggestions on this forum-I'm sure that you help many by sharing your experience! Thank you.
    Yes, the second reference that "Darty" makes is the night drain bottle I use. Here is the reference at Urocare: https://www.urocare.com/EN/Products/4100EN.php
    The Urocare night drain bottle can be purchased at most urologic oriented medical supply outlets online.

I set the bottle in a plastic shoe box, just in case there is a leakage problem. The shoe box sits on the floor for the lowest drainage position possible.

so, you think it would take too long to inject this much liquid into the sample port. I've read that the CDC isn't in favor of irrigations-is this because of the research about breaking the connection that you mentioned, or another reason?

I'm not understanding "The pathway for bacteria is from around the catheter is still there." can you clarify, please? thanks!

I have never heard what you said but here it is on youtube with many other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...foley+catheter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIh64la4hWI&t=249s
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

An important distinction is the difference between IRRIGATION (flushing of the catheter using significant force) and INSTILLATION (putting chemical solutions into the catheter/bladder with low force).

While instillation of solutions is most safely done without breaking the system (ie, through the urine sampling port on a urinary drainage bag), effective irrigation (ie, to break up blockages due to either encrustation or blood clots) usually requires that you break the system and use a catheter-tipped syringe with some force to be effective.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

so, you think it would take too long to inject this much liquid into the sample port. I've read that the CDC isn't in favor of irrigations-is this because of the research about breaking the connection that you mentioned, or another reason?

I'm not understanding "The pathway for bacteria is from around the catheter is still there." can you clarify, please? thanks!
    Routine irrigation is not recommended by the CDC as there is no evidence that this prevents or effectively treats catheter clogging, and plenty of evidence that breaking the system to do so increases the risk for introducing bacteria into the catheter, even if done with "good" sterile technique. Irrigation should be reserved for emergencies where it is needed to open a catheter that is completely blocked by encrustations or blood clots.

Most bacteria enter your bladder both along the interior lumen and the external surface of the indwelling catheter, which is facilitated by the development of the biofilm that starts to develop along these surfaces within a day or two of catheter insertion. Biofilm is like mucous, and allows the bacteria to travel up these surfaces from outside your body to the bladder (and beyond).

(KLD)