I'm a T-5 para, about 7 years post, and my GF is mobility challenged due to various medical issues, including extreme obesity (she is in the 4-500lb range) and has extreme difficulty with stairs. At home she mostly gets around by paddle walking a bariatric manual chair. I use a power chair by preference, but mostly use a manual chair at home...

When I first got hurt, as what we thought would be a short term solution, we moved our king-size bed into what would normally be a kid-bedroom, and made the first floor bath accessible by replacing the tub with a roll-in shower.... We had dreams of doing an addition to put in a home elevator in order to get access back to the basement and master bedroom on the 2nd floor...

However the GF has had a problem of periodic unemployment that keeps eating the money we had been saving to do the addition with.

Our house would be beautiful if we kept it up better, but it is the 'house from hell' to work on or do any modifications to, as it is a contemporary design, sort of like a ski chalet, with a 12/12 pitch roof, and almost nothing that gives a straight shot from basement to 2nd floor without going through living areas on the first floor...

Since it didn't look like we were going to be able to do the addition, I recently started looking at inclined platform lifts, but the one tentative quote we have gotten was for "at least" US $25K EACH for a Savarian lift. The dealers we talked to said they didn't think the Harmar lifts would work for us because of the GF's weight. I haven't gotten a quote for a Garaventa lift (assuming they are available where we live) but would be surprised if they were a lot less...

The only place I can see inside the house where an elevator might work would be to rip out the existing straight staircases (which are above each other) and put an elevator in their place - but as I understand the building codes, this wouldn't be allowed...

One idea I've thought of, is whether it would be acceptable in terms of codes to replace the straight stairs with spiral staircases, which would give enough room to have an elevator next to them?

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have some partial floor plans I could post if that would help any...

ex-Gooserider