Thread: Shopping for new backrest

Shopping for new backrest

well the time has come i am looking at finally replacing my backrest have had the standard TiLite one since i got the chair 5 years ago, chair however is in great shape just replaced the tires again so not in the market for a whole chair. i have had increasing spasticity which isn't due to infection or any other cause. i think the time has come for a custom backrest as my back soreness is also increasing. So my question is which one would you suggest I am a incomplete T6 have quite a bit of trunk control for my level of injury. however as the years go on it seems to be decreasing. also i may end up paying out of pocket since i am not sure i want to deal with the insurance nightmare!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I went thru a bunch of backs thru the years and always ended up going back to a slingback. Recently I hAd a seating eval and the dme guy brought along a Ride Java back. It's the most comfortable back I've ever tried; and I have a closet full of like new backs not being used.

I like the Java because a person can really dial in the adjustments independently without the other adjustments needing to be changed. The other backs I've tried seemed to be a "either or" type adjustment. I've used the sample back provided since July and seems to work really well. Trustfully the new chair and Java back should be here in a couple weeks.

I also am on their Ride Jave cushion and so far it's been really beneficial for keeping recent flap surgeries healed.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    How wide is your chair? you may be able to pick up something used ?
    The Ride Java back seems to be the latest and greatest everyone is pushing !!!
    I'm a victim my PT just fitted me for one.
    It has good adjustment, and comes apart easily to make the chair a little lighter when loading and unloading into the car etc.
    I was using and ADI carbon fiber back, which was nice and light and very supportive. I think I'm just too heavy for it as the edges started to push into me.
    So if you're under 200lbs I'd definitely try the ADI back, as Patrick mentioned though the Java Ride is easier to adjust.. Then once it's dialed in seems like it never gets touched after that.

I'm 235 pounds so over the 200 lbs for adi i like the look of the ride java back however the price is a bit much if i was going out of pocket. have to get in with a new SCI doc as my old one retired! waiting on the referral from my neurologist now.My hope is when she calls me back i will then talk to her about a script for a new backrest or just talk with the physitrist when i see them. i am sure i would have no issue with getting my neuro to sign off on it however. i use a roho cushion which has been a life saver for me as far as wounds go. i too have had 2 flaps done. i use the high profile quaddtro one. total game changer! i have used it now about 2 years. actually probably due for a whole chair within the next few years but since this one is in such good shape why change it if i don't have to? although i would like a bit more dump but anyhow i am off on a tangent.
    Last edited by Smashms; 10-29-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    That over 200lbs for the ADI is just my opinion!
    not sure what the professionals say .

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    I'm 235 pounds so over the 200 lbs for adi i like the look of the ride java back however the price is a bit much if i was going out of pocket. have to get in with a new SCI doc as my old one retired! waiting on the referral from my neurologist now.My hope is when she calls me back i will then talk to her about a script for a new backrest or just talk with the physitrist when i see them. i am sure i would have no issue with getting my neuro to sign off on it however. i use a roho cushion which has been a life saver for me as far as wounds go. i too have had 2 flaps done. i use the high profile quaddtro one. total game changer! i have used it now about 2 years. actually probably due for a whole chair within the next few years but since this one is in such good shape why change it if i don't have to? although i would like a bit more dump but anyhow i am off on a tangent.

well had appointment with new SCI doctor all went well we are going to take things slow and first treat the spasticity by getting new night splints, and also we are moving forward with the new back for my chair she said it should help with positioning as well since i have lost some trunk control. and well put on a few pounds. which i have to work on losing! guess i'll be starving myself from now on it seems the only way i lose weight. she wants to followup in 3 months and if the spasiticty is better we can then talk about maybe weaning off the baclofen again. in 3 months i may even see is i can get into PT again although not sure what else we can work on other than standing, walking and spasticity control. maybe try to get some trunk control back who knows we will cross that bridge when we get there.