Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115

Thread: Why Don't We Have a Cure for Spinal Cord Injury? 2016

  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I've heard this before and call BS. Remember the old stem cell Bush era thing and we all paid to send test tubes to Washington? Nothing ... the demonstrations in DC ... nothing.

    It needs to happen to another Chris Reeve, as sorry as I am to say that.
    remonstrate harder! Everything you stated eventually just fizzled out and gave up ( to be honest bushes ban on embryonic stem cells actually kind of helped discover other methods of harvesting stem cells that actually turned out to have more potential)! If we bitched as much as the perfectly healthy black community, LGBT Community, Muslim community etc. maybe something will come of it. I think the problem is twofold: first our situations especially the most severe injuries are to Sombre To gloomy, are ?inequalities? real and heart wrenching rather than the other people whining about trivial matters in comparison ( it’s also probably a problem that these kind of problems make those kind of ?problems? look trivial, the media might not like that given how much time they put towards that stuff). Also there are a bunch of other disabilities, including people with spinal cord injuries that lump us all together and crying about how they don?t need to be cured crap.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Hmmm... Tom Hanks would be an ideal candidate...
    No Justin Bieber! There’s no debating that

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by BSgimp View Post

    Why Don't We Have a Cure for Spinal Cord Injury?

    1. Slow Methodologies of Medical Science
    2. Complexity of Nervous Systems
    3. Low number of people with SCI
    4. Lack of Monetary Incentives
    5. Lack of cooperation between Labs
    6. Lack of Social Awareness
    7. Big Pharma

    I wonder how fast thing would go if Mark Zuckerberg would get SCI. Or some other billionaire. I think the best bet is to inspire Bill Gates to help us out.
    I sent a long email to Joe Bezos when he officially became the richest man in the world and subsequently went to Twitter and requested ideas for philanthropy. I gave my perspective on what was the best research , Explained that the most severe injuries are buried and almost unheard of and that many voluntarily resort to starvation used two real life examples. I got no response
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 11-15-2017 at 03:00 AM.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Should they inflict spinal cord injuries on animals for research? Yes and no for different reasons. Yes to reduce human suffering. No for ethical reasons. I think the ethics prevail. I'm not saying this is the reason why we don't have a cure. But it is one factor that limits the degree of research.
    Go find a PETA fourm for that crap, if you do want to talk about it you better be a C1 complete injury! They are rats there are too many of them and they are a serious pest problem all around the world leading to many diseases and other problems. You will never have to worry about them becoming endangered? Your argument is preposterous.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 11-15-2017 at 03:01 AM.

  5. #85
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    18,356
    It's not really August West's argument .. a helluva lot of people feel that way James. Animal trials are expensive ... prohibitively expensive if what I've read around here throughout the years is true.

    Everyone likes to blindly jump on the PETA wagon without really thinking about the human beings that suffer. When presented with this, I usually respond that I would rip out a baby monkey's spinal cord with my bare hands while it screams, if it would cure my paralysis. That usually shuts them up.

    Too funny - I responded to Bezos too when he asked for ideas.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It's not really August West's argument .. a helluva lot of people feel that way James. Animal trials are expensive ... prohibitively expensive if what I've read around here throughout the years is true.

    Everyone likes to blindly jump on the PETA wagon without really thinking about the human beings that suffer. When presented with this, I usually respond that I would rip out a baby monkey's spinal cord with my bare hands while it screams, if it would cure my paralysis. That usually shuts them up.

    Too funny - I responded to Bezos too when he asked for ideas.
    Well those people are stupid, rats total net population is Close to that of humans (ants are number 1). Well I am sad he didn’t respond to either of us, I volunteered to use my body as a guinea pig and go around the FDA because he wanted something that was a quick fix… I proposed the glial scar surgically removed by an eastern doctor ( dr. Young has explained that in China they are quite capable of doing this and far less hesitant then doctors here) put RMx matrix in the now empty cavity, recieve the autologous neural cells afterwords proceed to engage in a myriad of training programs/exercise equipment (kumming walking program, biofeedback, giger MD, Bioness for hands, vibration therapy for sensory function, etc) In between each new injection that takes place quarterly for two years obviously along with a specific nutrition program very high in B vitamins and magnesium plant proteins etc. At the same time with fasting which has been shown to help neurological function. And then periodically engage in NRTs transcutaneous epidural stimulator I know that they have already developed specific algorithms to stimulate specific functional outcomes obviously you would outwardly stimulate whatever function be it hand, gait, etc. With an additional piece of equipment well you stimulate the spinal cord. Likely incorporate a potassium channel blocker if necessary And much more… would be a daily 24 seven ordeal.

  7. #87
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    18,356
    I don't think anyone is there yet ... close, but not yet. You're a young man though and I'm certain you'll see improvement in your lifetime.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Well those people are stupid, rats total net population is Close to that of humans (ants are number 1). Well I am sad he didn’t respond to either of us, I volunteered to use my body as a guinea pig and go around the FDA because he wanted something that was a quick fix… I proposed the glial scar surgically removed by an eastern doctor ( dr. Young has explained that in China they are quite capable of doing this and far less hesitant then doctors here) put RMx matrix in the now empty cavity, recieve the autologous neural cells afterwords proceed to engage in a myriad of training programs/exercise equipment (kumming walking program, biofeedback, giger MD, Bioness for hands, vibration therapy for sensory function, etc) In between each new injection that takes place quarterly for two years obviously along with a specific nutrition program very high in B vitamins and magnesium plant proteins etc. At the same time with fasting which has been shown to help neurological function. And then periodically engage in NRTs transcutaneous epidural stimulator I know that they have already developed specific algorithms to stimulate specific functional outcomes obviously you would outwardly stimulate whatever function be it hand, gait, etc. With an additional piece of equipment well you stimulate the spinal cord. Likely incorporate a potassium channel blocker if necessary And much more… would be a daily 24 seven ordeal.
    James, the population of rats is irrelevant, they are not collected from cities and used for experiments. Rats are bred soley for research and make the ultimate sacrifice for us.

    Dr. Young and his colleages in China would never remove a glial scar, it is unnecessary. Common sense tells me you can not do multiple laminectomies at the same site.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    James, the population of rats is irrelevant, they are not collected from cities and used for experiments. Rats are bred soley for research and make the ultimate sacrifice for us.

    Dr. Young and his colleages in China would never remove a glial scar, it is unnecessary. Common sense tells me you can not do multiple laminectomies at the same site.
    I have talked with Dr. Young about this very issue: the glial scar is most certainly an obstacle to next generation spinal treatments. I never implied multiple laminectomies at once, the procedure that I am proposing would be done in one go even if you surgically remove a glial scar it will be back in 24 hours therefore you would have to put the regeneration matrix ( or any other technology like a scaffolding from invivo therapeutics, or the collagen scaffolding that is being tested in China, in fact that’s exactly what they were doing removing the scar then implanting the scaffolding before they decided to focus on acute injuries and suddenly went into obscurity, however we don’t get a lot of information out of China especially in terms of scientific research) into the cavity as soon as possible (the RMx has been proposed to not only regenerate tissue, but to regenerate it in its proper form though the lab is apparently looking at it being more practical for acutes now). Also I know that the people working on the Russian trial are looking at different message to administer the neural stem cells every three months without performing a laminectomy, as it stands right now the few patients that have been treated have had the first injection directly to the injury site and the following are done by Intrathecal injection but from what I’ve got from talking to the individual I stated above they are looking at different message- again to administer it directly to the injury say site for potentially more efficiency… In fact one of the technology he mentioned is actually very interested I’m not going to talk about it though, I was trusted with information whether he would mind or not I do not know and he is no longer working with the lab ( everything is currently on hold they are in a phase of investment).
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 11-16-2017 at 03:34 AM.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I don't think anyone is there yet ... close, but not yet. You're a young man though and I'm certain you'll see improvement in your lifetime.
    Oh but they are the results that have been achieved with the autologous Neural stem cells are already impressive in humans, people laying on their back able to lift their own legs Which was shown at one of the earlier W2W And there was many other recoveries some of which I was briefly privy to and others not so much, and there are so many things they are still trying to work out: dosage, method to get the injection every three months for two years directly to the injury site, best methodology for functional daily training to stimulate regeneration ( they are not the only labs and/or researchers including Dr. Young stating that this is of pivotal importance in the search for a treatment of chronic spinal cord injury, but on this board it is probably the number one thing that is disregarded: We are fools if we ever think a chronic spinal cord injury will be healed without at least a year if not years of intensive albeit functional movement conducted on a daily basis), incorporating other treatments like neurotrophic drugs, getting rid of the glial scar, etc.

    The epidural stimulators, especially NRTs transcutaneous has shown very impressive results on its own in case studies again on humans ( to that pelican guy, I’m not going to debate with you go back to our previous conversation years ago… But to anyone else the stimulator used in the Louisville trial was essentially nothing more than a glorified tens unit, NRT’s Device is far more complicated and eloquent with more leads, more settings higher frequencies etc. etc. which is evident by the fact that it was able to achieve better results without being implanted directly on the spinal cord, And the company is continuously developing new algorithms that incorporate various frequencies to hopefully stimulate and target specific functions! The trial in Louisville literally just flooded the spinal cord with electric stimulus and look at the results they Achieved with such a primitive method in comparison.

    Again I’m sorry Jim, I’m sorry Dr. Young I respect you immensely and I believe your work is of great importance and is the first significant step so I am not disregarding it at all… However umbiblical cord blood cells are inferior compared to neural stem cells or even olfactory cells. As Dr. Young explained though they are cheap and readily available and safe. But look at the results that were achieved with them in combination with the walking program and untethering surgery most importantly I would say the walking program, given that Dr. Young is looking at other pieces of equipment to train other functions like hand function, and sensory function I have briefly talked to him with what technologies he believes are the best for these that we currently have available and his stance on how imperative functional training and stimulus is after a treatment of any kind for chronic spinal injury I think that is safe to say, he would likely agree ( however their next trial will determine that without equivocation). Something as intensive like I stated above has not even remotely been tested, stem cell inc. they were one treatment it was not collaborative and their program for training afterwords was dismal… In fact in most cases the patients just laid in bed and then went about their life in a wheelchair surprise surprise they barely had any results, but even so there was some minor sensory return in terms of the stem cell Inc. trial and those cells are obsolete as they came from donated fetuses… The trial in Russia extracts from our bone marrow and reprograms them into neural cells directly from our own body. Dr. Ahlfor’s Is a specialist in regeneration, and in terms of his past credentials in education and just overall upbringing he is basically a prodigy... The problem is the technology he is working with is incredibly expensive and is state-of-the-art!
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 11-16-2017 at 03:37 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 08:15 PM
  2. Let's cure spinal cord injury now
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 06:43 AM
  3. There is No Cure for Spinal Cord Injury
    By Julie250 in forum Life
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
  4. A cure for spinal cord injury?
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 04:55 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2002, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •