Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't We Have a Cure for Spinal Cord Injury? 2016

yes arm function... I believe that it was previously reported that a C4 individual slipped through the cracks and got operated on, but I forget which phase that was... Jim are you talking about arm or hand or finger function returned that one didn't previously have... I have very little arm and no hand function and I have a trach and I periodically need someone to suction me AKA 24 hour, round the clock care... Been like that for 14 years, could this treatment alleviate any of that
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I hope that there is proof in that pudding. Just opened the floodgates.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Paolo what is Italy doing to cure SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    yes arm function... I believe that it was previously reported that a C4 individual slipped through the cracks and got operated on, but I forget which phase that was... Jim are you talking about arm or hand or finger function returned that one didn't previously have... I have very little arm and no hand function and I have a trach and I periodically need someone to suction me AKA 24 hour, round the clock care... Been like that for 14 years, could this treatment alleviate any of that
    Luna, there was no return of arm/hand/finger function. In the IIB trials these will be exercised to see if function returns.

We've been asking the "When" question since I was first injured in 1973. Care is much better than it was back then but getting closer to a cure; not so much. I do hope it happens but when you hear the "in two-seven years there will be" from docs and researchers, they've been saying that for over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    We've been asking the "When" question since I was first injured in 1973. Care is much better than it was back then but getting closer to a cure; not so much. I do hope it happens but when you hear the "in two-seven years there will be" from docs and researchers, they've been saying that for over 40 years.
    LOL! I didn't want to be the first to say that! There's always one in these threads. At least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The complete quads now living independently would strongly disagree with you. You simply don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Luna, there was no return of arm/hand/finger function. In the IIB trials these will be exercised to see if function returns.
    So how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    LOL! I didn't want to be the first to say that! There's always one in these threads. At least.
    I’m waiting for the results of the head transplant which is set to occur in December. The results from the Stanford stroke clinical trial are pretty promising too.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I didn't mean to be disrespectful and was just my turn to be the first to say it lol. There are those that sit around and do nothing thinking the cure will come any day. Thing is one must be prepared, in reasonable condition and be able to pay for the "fix" when it comes. I'm 44 years post and still work out religiously in preparation of the "fix".

I feel in many ways, those of us that were injured so many years ago had it better. We got longer and more intensive rehab coming out better prepared for life. We were also told there was no cure and won't be one in our lifetime so get on with life. So far they were correct.

33yrs ago and was told there was faint hope, not a solid no ... but I completely agree with your second statement! In 'our day' it was survival at all costs and fiercely independent.

Not so anymore. Not sure if that's good or bad ... but I regret there was no 'standing' in my day nor FES.