Thread: Guidelines for clothes?

Guidelines for clothes?

I don?t know if this is the right place to post this but I?m going ahead anyways.

From searching the website, cutting off the backpocket from jeans is pretty common? I?m trying to transition from my daily dresscode of sweatpants and exercise pants right now and I only have a bunch of those designer jeans from when I was still walking. There?s a big middle button in the middle of the back pocket which I know should be taking off right? The back pocket itself isn?t that a little bit overkill?

Has anyone found it possible to wear skinny jeans or chinos?

What about pea coats and other things that go beyond the waist? Do you get those dressed in bed or in a standing frame?

I am C5/6 so another concern would be whether not I would be able to take off layers. Do you guys dress in layers or just kind of tough it out a bit whenever the temperature changes?

As an example if I wear a pea coat, I feel I would be able to undo the buttons but on my own I wouldn?t be able to take off the cover. Are there people here who just tough it out or would you recommend not dressing that way?

If you do just bear it, do you tend to prefer being too hot or too cold?

Are there any types of clothing that are basically taboo for SCI?

How about underwear? Boxers preferred? How do you keep it clean from any discharges that come out? I was recommended to buy pads like the kinds women use and tape it to my butt?
    Last edited by Sythellri; 10-27-2017 at 01:06 PM.

I am c6c7 I dress in bed I layer but I live in florida I wear on cload day fleece ot Columbia that s fleece lined and kep wind off coat always made me feel way off balance so I don/t wear 1 take the back pockets off preventive maitaince

I can get layers off but sometime its get ugly I get a tad potty mouthy I have discharges from butt but I afraid of pad that it would sore me up bathe dayly

The heavy seam on the back pocket of jeans is the problem...and any rivets. Those should be removed. Leggings and skinny jeans can be worn, but can be the devil to get on. Most people dress their lower extremities (slacks, socks, shoes, etc.) in bed, and then transfer and put on their shirts, jackets, etc. in the wheelchair.

As far as jackets, many find that a bomber style jacket is much more practical and easy to put on than ones that covers your hips.

The majority of men I know in wheelchairs go "commando" as far as underwear, but many find that they do better with knit long-legged underwear than with either traditional boxers or briefs.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm also in northern California and I personally prefer layers - usually wear a base layer from late fall through early spring, fleece sweatshirts and jackets work well whenever it gets cool outside. I think it all depends on how well you do with putting these on and taking them off as needed. In regards pants, you might want to check out https://www.endlessability.com. They're local, so there's always the added benefit of supporting a local business. There are many other providers of decent wheelchair jeans, which have added benefits such as high back, front pockets that are better positioned. If you can get to San Meteo this weekend for the Abilities Expo, these events always provide an opportunity to link up with people to chat live about questions like this.