Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Paralyzed man surprises scientists by standing and moving on his own

  1. #11
    Have heard that for this to get to the point to help people outside of being a part of the research that it will require data on HUNDREDS. They have done 11 in 8 years. So while I am sure this will move at a faster pace then the previous 11, I can’t imagine that being less than 10-15 years, which is insane and sad.

  2. #12
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    18,352
    Oh Christ, I'll be dead by then at 60. pffft
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    How many more years lol ... will I ever pee like a normal woman again? It's been 33yrs ... lol.
    The Shewee has liberated most all women (and some men)

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Using epidural stimulation, these 4 young men can voluntarily move their legs and bear weight. They all regained their ability to move in just a few weeks after being implanted with an epidural stimulator. In even bigger news, they've seen dramatic improvement in autonomic functions including bladder and bowel control, sexual function, and temperature regulation. They've also experienced improved cardiovascular and respiratory capabilities. LINK
    This is really great news, but what annoys me is the amount of trials they have to do before getting it to the people who really needs something now, it takes too long. I know the tech still needs to be perfected , but if it's already proven to be safe and that it can help to a certain degree, why wait?! Just bring it out and it will get perfected even quicker....

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    In even bigger news, they've seen dramatic improvement in autonomic functions including bladder and bowel control, sexual function, and temperature regulation. They've also experienced improved cardiovascular and respiratory capabilities. LINK
    Last time, many years ago, when they reported on the original four, they found the same thing. At that time though it was a shock and had not set up to measure these gains. I've looked endlessly to find if they would be measuring these gains this time as it would no longer be a mystery but have never found if they would measure it. Sadly, the Nature article also didn't mention it.
    The report this time, regarding BBS, mentioned casually on the website, is no different than last time. BBS is right at the top of the list just under breathing for many paralysed folks so I'm wondering why they wouldn't (if they didn't) monitor it's return.
    I'm left with the same question that I had four or five years ago (or was it even longer when the first four reported) of what "bladder and bowel control" means.
    Does anyone know where I could find more about BBS in this trial? Believe me, I have looked

    For years there have been numerous surveys conducted amongst the spinal cord injured community about what issues are important (I believe they were often done to prove that those with SCI were NOT interested in full functional return). Knowing that BBS is so important, you'd figure that they would have monitored it.

    Here is some background on some of these surveys. I couldn't find all of the ones I wanted.
    http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...riorities.html
    http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...s-by-rick.html
    Last edited by StemCells&AtomBombs; 10-28-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

    "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    Does anyone know where I could find more about BBS in this trial? Believe me, I have looked
    There aren't BBS studies. Harkema doesn't work in the urology field. The primary focus of her work is studying the plasticity of the human lumbosacral spinal cord during locomotor training.

    Autonomic functions simply are not mentioned in this latest published paper at all.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-29-2017 at 02:59 PM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    This is really great news, but what annoys me is the amount of trials they have to do before getting it to the people who really needs something now, it takes too long. I know the tech still needs to be perfected , but if it's already proven to be safe and that it can help to a certain degree, why wait?! Just bring it out and it will get perfected even quicker....
    It is out and being perfected. Dr. Justin Brown implants them along with other's overseas. His video's have been posted. One person here has had the implant and posted before about it. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...25#post1797625 (alhavel)

    http://neurosurgery.ucsd.edu/justin-brown-md/
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-28-2017 at 02:08 PM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    It is out. Dr. Justin Brown implants them along with other's overseas. His video's have been posted.
    Do you have a link Grammy?

  9. #19
    Senior Member lunasicc42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lutz, Fl USA*********C456
    Posts
    1,975
    I was very excited about es but I have talked to rob sommers on facebook some and the stuff he reported was alright but honestly somewhat of a let down and using those subjective words that I have come to HATE, like; I "feel" like I can hold my bladder a little longer
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

    "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I was very excited about es but I have talked to rob sommers on facebook some and the stuff he reported was alright but honestly somewhat of a let down and using those subjective words that I have come to HATE, like; I "feel" like I can hold my bladder a little longer
    It may be different if they were actually targeting the return of bladder function. Here in the locomotor lab, they aren't targeting bowel, bladder and sexual function but rather standing and stepping. These discussions were initial observations that trial participants have noticed and reported to the researchers.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM
  2. Spinal Stimulation Gets Paralyzed Patients Moving
    By Mooner99 in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 11:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •