Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bladder routine question

What are you eating? Are you taking oral baclofen? Not staying on an baclofen schedule can cause leaking. More likely explanation based on what you're saying is that you're consuming too many diuretics, which are making you pee more than otherwise. Therefore, you cath more often than you should and infect yourself. The infection doesn't heal because you're in this perpetual cycle. Because the infection gives you bladder spasms you take Ditropan to relax the bladder. But it's dehydrating so you drink and cath even more. Stop doing this to yourself. Turn the volume down and go back to basics - diet, lifestyle, sterile catheter, clean technique, understand your meds and supplements.

Botox is not an anticholinergic but he said it made his shoulder hurt like the anticholinergics- I have never herd of that being a side effect of either. Dry mouth- yes. Anticholinergics will dry out your mouth. A lower dose or use of the long acting or sustained acting form of the med may have less side effects such as dry mouth.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Everybody is different. All I can tell you if I stop what causes my shoulder to hurt when I take a new medicine my shoulder stop hurting. Nothing more to say my doctor said. If some drugs make them hurt then that's the way you are. He said I am weird but is x drug makes them hurt we need to find something else. You look up Botox side effects on google some people hurt from it for over 2 years.
    Art

I like WebMD for medicine side effects people have. Some of the ones I take some people have the same side effects as me. Anticholinergic. Some people had leg pain and shoulder and neck pain from them they had to stop taking it. Just cause you never herd of it other people that take the stuff do. You never know what side effects you will get these days from medicine. Like generic drugs do we really trust them? On WebMD some people have no problems then they change to another brand of generic and does not work like there other one did. Has to make you wonder about quality control and such.
    Art

True... there are many possible side effects and everyone is different. I didn't mean to give the impression that wasn't so. But we use Botox a lot here and I have never seen it- doesn't mean it can't happen or cause that problem. I always tell my patients to call if they notice anything different... and we will discuss it. I don't limit it to what's on the list. They are trying Dysport to the bladder (research study) of course it is Botox but different than Botulinum Toxin A. Xeomin is used for spasticity of other muscles.
    Mirgabetron is not an anticholinergic.
    I know what you are saying about generics but some do actually work as good as the brand, or almost. I think there is somewhat better control. They are supposed to be the exact same medication.
    The only one I know that didn't seem the same- well , no as obvious- was Synthroid, for low thyroid hormone. Pretty good luck for most others.
    Most insurance companies won't approve the brand if generic is available or makes the deductible so high...you choose the generic.CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Try Mirgabetron (Myrbetriz) it is not an anticholinergic.
    I would cut down some on the fluids a bit.
    CWO
    Myrbetriq has been a game changer for me. My insurance covers most of it but I still pay $100/mo for it. I think it is $400 without insurance. Pricey, but for me it is worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Myrbetriq has been a game changer for me. My insurance covers most of it but I still pay $100/mo for it. I think it is $400 without insurance. Pricey, but for me it is worth the money.
    Can you describe how Myrbetriq has been a "game changer" for you? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    I'm a c6-7 complete quad, 8 years post. I drink about 70 oz (2070 mL) of fluid per day. 36 oz of water, 10 oz of coffee, 24 oz of soda. I wear a binder & ted hose.

My bladder can only hold 300 mL as max. Often I'll leak even at 250 mL. I cath 8-9 times per 24 hrs, which includes 1 hour after laying down for the night, then 4 hours later. But I still leak every night.

I also have recurring UTI, probably from high bladder volumes that cause AD and leakage at night. I already cath 8-9 times a day.

I'm not sure what I should do. Is intermittent cathing just not feasible for me? I'd hate to get an SP and get permanent kidney shrinkage. Should I drink less fluid? Tips?
    I am also a c6 complete quad like you. I do intermittent cath 6 times / 24 hours. I do not leak at night because i stop drinking fluid 2 hours prior going to bed. And start to drink after i wake up in the morning. I cover up for my fluid intake during the hours i am awake. Also you should minimize the fluids which contain caffiene.

You can try detrocetol tablets 2 mg twice per 24 hours to increase bladder capacity.

For further information on how to manage your bladder properly you can read this http://spinalinjury.info/neurogenic-bladder-management/ and http://spinalinjury.info/quadriplegi...lection-guide/
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

Bsc(HONS) Applied Physics / Msc Electronics from University of Karachi. Currently doing Mphil in AI/Robotics from IBA karachi.

Physics / Maths high school instructor. Part time Web developer/ blogger . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Visit http://spinalinjury.info where people suffering from SCI share articles about post spinal cord injury life based on research and personal experiences

Quote Originally Posted by fahad283 View Post
    I am also a c6 complete quad like you. I do intermittent cath 6 times / 24 hours. I do not leak at night because i stop drinking fluid 2 hours prior going to bed. And start to drink after i wake up in the morning. I cover up for my fluid intake during the hours i am awake. Also you should minimize the fluids which contain caffiene.

You can try detrocetol tablets 2 mg twice per 24 hours to increase bladder capacity.

For further information on how to manage your bladder properly you can read this http://spinalinjury.info/neurogenic-bladder-management/ and http://spinalinjury.info/quadriplegi...lection-guide/
    Do you mean Detrusitol and Detrusitol XL, generically known as Tolterodine? Tolterodine is known as Detrol or Detrol LA in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Do you mean Detrusitol and Detrusitol XL, generically known as Tolterodine? Tolterodine is known as Detrol or Detrol LA in the United States.
    YES exactly. I found it very effective for me. Now i don't need to attach condom cathether while asleep to save my pants. In addition, as you know, when quadrplegics leak, they tend to have an increase in their blood pressure for the time being. i have trained my mind to such an extent that in case there is going to be a bladder leak, i wake up immediately & urinate in a urine bottle.
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

Bsc(HONS) Applied Physics / Msc Electronics from University of Karachi. Currently doing Mphil in AI/Robotics from IBA karachi.

Physics / Maths high school instructor. Part time Web developer/ blogger . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Visit http://spinalinjury.info where people suffering from SCI share articles about post spinal cord injury life based on research and personal experiences