Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking clearly while in the pain tunnel

Distraction is the only thing that saves me from the tunnel. I'm lucky enough that I rarely hit 9 and at 6 or less I can meditate and separate the pain from there suffering and put the suffering aside. That 7+ region is just awful and all I can do is wrap my arms around my transition region, where I get unbearable dysesthesia, and close my eyes and try to meditate. Fortunately my high excursions seldom last more than a few hours.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Exercise and changing body position helps me provide lasting lower back pain relief. Using a standing frame or inversion chair may provide quicker pain relief but may not last as long.
    I've been doing plenty of exercise. PT wants me to do less and I have been. Definitely helps with pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Distraction is the only thing that saves me from the tunnel. I'm lucky enough that I rarely hit 9 and at 6 or less I can meditate and separate the pain from there suffering and put the suffering aside. That 7+ region is just awful and all I can do is wrap my arms around my transition region, where I get unbearable dysesthesia, and close my eyes and try to meditate. Fortunately my high excursions seldom last more than a few hours.
    I've had to revise my number scale many times because the doctors and nurses always ask the question and it's not really answerable when they say "10" is the worst pain you've ever felt. According to that metric, everything else has been a "1". But I use a modified scale I came up with. 6 means it hurts a lot, 7 means it hurts a lot and it's getting hard to think of anything else, 8 means I can't think of anything else but I can still do things, 9 means there is nothing but pain, can't think or do anything, it's every second one second at a time. For me a 10 is a whole other universe so I don't really use it. I think a 10 is when you are screaming or throwing up, an agony you'd do anything to stop. I've only truly had that once in my life and I remember in between waves I looked down the hospital hallway and thought I understood why they didn't have windows that opened.

Anyone else see this: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1842462

Lithium is very effective at reducing severe neuropathic pain?
    Oh I hope so.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Anyone else see this: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1842462

Lithium is very effective at reducing severe neuropathic pain?
    Oh I hope so.
    This study has been completed and will soon be published. https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/s...1855594&rank=1

In the meantime, you can ask your dr to prescribe it off label. It does have to be monitored closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In the meantime, you can ask your dr to prescribe it off label. It does have to be monitored closely.
    I did just that for a month with no improvement. Because taking the drug required so much monitoring & didn't give me the desired results, I stopped rather than taking the second blood test. Can only hope it's helped some one.