Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it possible to have a bladder infection without a temperature?

is it possible to have a bladder infection without a temperature?

is it possible to have a bladder infection (or any other kind of infection) w/out a temperature?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

e
    Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    is it possible to have a bladder infection (or any other kind of infection) w/out a temperature?
    While I will probably get slammed for saying this, but my response to you is absolutely, YES. While I have had my share of urinary tract infections, post 35 years injury (although not so recently, now that I am using HydroCleanse instillations), I have never had a fever. But I have had autonomia (high blood pressure, severe headache, chills, sweats) that has been unbearable when a urinary tract infection hits.

I can't speak to "any other kind of infection," only urinary tract infections. In 35 years, the only infections I have experienced are urinary tract.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-24-2017 at 01:05 PM.

37 years post here and I also get the uti's without a fever. But then my normal temp is in the low 97 range. And you have no idea how hard it is for a medical professional not familiar with me to see a 98.6 reading with me and understand that something is wrong. By the time I am running a 98.6 it is like most who are running a bit over 100. It takes a while to learn our own unique system and our our individual bodies display what is wrong. As I have gotten older I am also discovering that I get wiped out from infections and other things more quickly and it takes longer than it used to for the recovery process to get my energy level back to my normal. I had bronhchiolitis last winter and am still working on getting back the rest of my energy level.

Most of the UTI's I've had my temperature was actually lower.

temp, only when went septic here.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Don't recall ever having one either but I jump on things pretty fast when I start getting spastic, leaky or mentally fuzzy. Of course I don't recall much from my childhood years. Like I said I'm aggressive because at 48.5 years in I don't imagine I have as much margin if things go sideways.

Yes, in the early stages. That is why we tell you not to wait until you have a temperature but look for other symptoms like increased spasticity, leakage from bladder, burning, more fatigue etc.. to submit a urine culture/UA then can be placed on antibiotics if symptoms continue.
    Also, elderly people might never have a high temperature until septic.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, in the early stages. That is why we tell you not to wait until you have a temperature but look for other symptoms like increased spasticity, leakage from bladder, burning, more fatigue etc.. to submit a urine culture/UA then can be placed on antibiotics if symptoms continue.
    Also, elderly people might never have a high temperature until septic.
    CWO
    so, leakage is one of the main symptoms of a bladder infection? I have occasional AD as well and can feel contractions sometimes while it is going on...but they may be caused by too aggressive of a bowel routine the day before. if these 2 symptoms are present should I be concerned and be tested?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    so, leakage is one of the main symptoms of a bladder infection? I have occasional AD as well and can feel contractions sometimes while it is going on...but they may be caused by too aggressive of a bowel routine the day before. if these 2 symptoms are present should I be concerned and be tested?
    You have to get to know what your body reactions are to an onset of a urinary tract infection and rely on those cues. I have severe autonomic symptoms and leakage from the urethra, but not from the supra pubic catheter and foul smelling, very cloudy urine. With the onset of those symptoms, I get a specimen to the lab as soon as possible. Get both a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S). Only take the antibiotics that the C&S show to be effective. That said, my doctor will put me on Macrobid for a couple days while we are waiting for C&S results. This is just a stop gap measure to get some antibiotic going which addresses the severe symptoms I experience. Once the results of the C&S are reported to him he determines which antibiotic he wants me to take.

Your doctor should prescribe a 12-14 day course from the most effective antibiotics according to the results of the C&S. Two to three days after you have finished the prescribed antibiotic, you should take another specimen to the lab for another UA and C&S if indicated. If bacteria is still present, your doctor will prescribe another course of the same antibiotic or may choose another one.

Sure hope you can get a handle on these infections. If you don't have an infection and are still suffering leaking caused by bladder spasm, ask your doctor about anticholinergic medications like oxybutynin. Most people with a supra pubic catheter take one of these drugs. I take 5mg per day, a very low dose. Others may need more or quite a bit more. This is pretty subjective.

We prefer to wait for the culture if at all possible. Macrobid is used for "simple" UTI's and must typically be taken longer. We don't consider UTI from SCI typically as 'Simple" unless it is your first one.
    Also some use it for long term but it has a potential side effect of pulmonary fibrosis.
    The bladder can shrink with continuous indwelling catheter so most take Oxybutynin 5 mg 1-3 times a day. No research studies to show that this prevents shrinkage but if not on it and leaking and no UTI then usually start at some point in time.
    However, we may use it less as there is a black box warning for dementia and moving more toward low dose Trospium. Waiting for more definitive research.
    CWO
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.