Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... How does a paraplegic loose 25 pounds or so? Seriously...

So... How does a paraplegic loose 25 pounds or so? Seriously...

I have not been around much lately but I am looking for some advice or possibly to some related threads. I am a T-10 complete about 12 years post. For the first 5 or 6 years I was able to stay very lean and always preinjury as I was very active in sports. After being with my fiance for the past 6 years I have put on about 25 pounds, mostly in the belly area, that I would like to get rid of. I have heard of the term parabelly before but I am unsure of what exactly that is. It seems odd that I would just magically put on that weight after 5 years. I know it is due in part to having someone cook yummy food for me all the time and possibly due to some lesser inactivity. It's not like I am completely stagnant but she is happy to do a lot of things for me that I used to do for myself. Nothing major... just trips to the store and stuff which I don't seem to do as much of now. Jeez.. I know weight loss is a problem for many people but I guess it is more difficult for us. I have been trying to eat better for almost a year now with very little results. I am scared to due hard workouts due to having chronic pain and the possibility of making that worse. Anyway, there are some facts about the problem. Any positive feedback or directing me to some good threads on the topic of loosing belly weight would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

You really cannot loose weight/fat from just one area of your body with a weight loss plan. Plans that claim to do this are bogus. How have you determined you are 25 lb. overweight? BMI? Weight/height charts designed for ABs?

You will loose weight if you do a combination of cutting back on calories consumed, and exercise more . Have you considered swimming? It is excellent cardiovascular exercise, and will help you burn calories. Hand cycling or use of an arm ergometer are also options, and done properly will not cause you increased problems with joint pain. Exercise can actually improve neuropathic pain due to the release of endorphins with exercise.

In general, a diet plan that cuts back 500 calories a day from what you eat now will result in about 1 lb. of weight loss weekly; possibly more if you also increase your exercise level. Portion control is key; smaller portions can be used to cut back 500 calories daily pretty easily. Beware of snacking too, and either don't snack at all, or use something like carrot or celery sticks to satisfy this. Obviously you will need to get your partner who cooks to help you with this. Tricks like using smaller plates for meals helps as well. Be sure to get enough protein as too little can put your skin at risk, and a multivitamin is a good idea as well.

An additional thought is that if you have not been evaluated for diabetes, you should discuss this with your physician. People with SCI are more at risk of type II DM than the general population.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-23-2017 at 04:21 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quad and para bellies occur because the paralyzed abdominal muscles atrophy. Eventually the abdominal area is little more than skin, which stretches. When you sit up, gravity causes your internal organs to slip downward and push the thin abdominal wall outward, creating a belly bulge.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

This thread is recent and has a lot of discussion about weight loss. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=pounds

It's 95% diet. If you can use legs and core it's more like 80% diet, but we don't have the ability to burn 800+ kcals per hour if we only have arms.
    So a high protein diet with nearly no sugars or simple carbs (white bread, white pasta etc.) and at a level about 500 kcal below your requirements PLUS get some shapewear shirts to wear under a good abdominal binder (helps with friction and more). You're never going to escape para/quad belly even if you do lose the fat.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

It's a combination of decreased BMR from paralysis, eating the same or greater amounts as you did pre-injury, and less physical activity. SCI-Nurse got you covered.

I can't speak much to the para-belly aspect, as I'm T12 so only my lower 2 abs are paralyzed. I have a little pooch in that area, so mini-para-belly? lol

Would be great if someone could figure out how to externally/artificially fire the postural muscles. FES wouldn't work as it would fry things after a long time. More like a few hundred embedded FES electrodes
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

cals in cals out. track everything you put in your mouth. if you aren't motivated to cook, lean cuisine and healthy choice offer decent frozen meals that are clean except for sodium.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    cals in cals out. track everything you put in your mouth. if you aren't motivated to cook, lean cuisine and healthy choice offer decent frozen meals that are clean except for sodium.
    What he said

Restrict carbs,I had to eliminate most carbs to deal with my SIBO and I inadvertently lost 30 lbs.Another thing you can do is spell L-O-S-E correctly,it wont help you LOSE weight but you'll sound like an adult.Sorry for the sarcasm but the use of loose and teh for lose and the drives my grouchy old ass crazy.