Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cushion feed back please

New Cushion feed back please

Hi forum does any have experience with Ride design cushions? I am on the market for a new cushion. I have always sat on a Jay extreme cushion which is now the jay2. I currently have a pressure sore I can't seem to get rid of. It's at the top of the crack of my backside. I am thinking i got the sore because for the first time I ordered my cushion differently. I ordered the gel pad with a 40 % over fill on the gel pad. Nothing has changed in my life style so I am thinking it's got to be the cushion correct? My first thought was to switch and order a roho enhancer cushion. Except I don't like Roho's because if you get a leak while your out in the community. You have to rush home and patch your cushion. That's the only reason I have stayed way from Roho's. Just curious if anybody has any feed back on ride cushions or any feed back at all.

Been using the custom cushion and it has been life changing. Wasted thousands on ones that didn't work. They have little padding so the ride is rough but I can be up. We are all different so it may not be for you

Ride makes both standard (Forward and Java) and custom (1 and 2) cushions. Which one are you looking at?

http://www.ridedesigns.com/wheelchair-cushions

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the feedback oldwheelz and Sci Nurse I was leaning towards the java for a few reasons. Better skin protection also because it helps manage heat. I live in Phoenix az the average temp during the summers is easily 108 degree days. I just was hoping to receive some feed back on the ride cushions. I have a lot of friends in chairs but no one has yet to try a ride cushion?

The Java is a good cushion, but just as with other pressure reducing cushions, it is best to be evaluated by a seating clinic that can do computerized interface studies on various cushions to see which is best for you. This is absolutely mandatory if you go the Ride Custom route.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I went thru a couple years of dealing with a wound and two failed surgeries to correct it. Spent a total of 21 weeks in a clinitron bed 24/7. It was caused by hitting the wheel transferring. Nothing seemed to be working until I had a seating eval. and tried out a Ride Java cushion. That was ten months ago. My bum has healed completely as a result and I'm back to my full time activities.

I used the Varailite NX double air chambered cushion before. It worked well but the Java seems to offload the area that was affected by the wound. Be aware the Ride Java will raise you up an extra inch.

Thanks for the information Nurse appreciate you always helping us out. I sent an email to ride to see who does the seating clinics in Phoenix for their product. I think this is the right cushion for me or at least I hope.

Right on thanks Patrick definitely going to pursue the ride cushion. I should have no problem getting this covered as I am workers comp injury. They pretty much cover all my medical supply needs if I obtain an RX. Just waiting to hear back on who does the seating clinics here in Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I went thru a couple years of dealing with a wound and two failed surgeries to correct it. Spent a total of 21 weeks in a clinitron bed 24/7. It was caused by hitting the wheel transferring. Nothing seemed to be working until I had a seating eval. and tried out a Ride Java cushion. That was ten months ago. My bum has healed completely as a result and I'm back to my full time activities.

I used the Varailite NX double air chambered cushion before. It worked well but the Java seems to offload the area that was affected by the wound. Be aware the Ride Java will raise you up an extra inch.

Touchstone rehab around 50th St. and Washington. The guy who's the most of the evaluation is Dan.. He's done a great job although I would back from a ride cushion to a Roho after a little while. I was on a ride custom cushion but it was causing breakdown in other spots. Good luck with your quest
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thanks rybread your actually the second person that recommended Dan at Touchstone. I might have to give him a shout. I am not that impressed with Ride design's lack of response yet. I sent an email request for contact of rep in phoenix 4 days ago. Still no call back so yep giving Dan a shout today.