Thread: Is there a better way to cure paralysis

Is there a better way to cure paralysis

Hello. I was reading an old, but still pertinent, article in the New York Times.

It's titled "Billionaires with big ideas are privatising American science". It's well worth the read, especially since all the big projects mentioned never mention SCI or paralysis. It got me to thinking of a topic I often ponder; is running, wheeling, cycling, etc to raise donations OR even donating large sums of money really the way to fund science. Is it the most effective way to paralysis cure?

I wrote a blog about this about this at StemCells&AtomBombs, and I hope you have a chance to read it.

But even if you don't have a chance to read it, I left it with a few questions at the end, and I'd really love to hear people's answers/opinions on the issue...

The blog post is here and the questions follow:

• In America, private donations to registered charities carry a 28% tax deduction. Looking at multi-billionaires donating millions of dollars, is it in the best interest of society that the uber rich decide what is funded? Does it make more sense to raise these funds through higher taxes on these big donors that are then disbursed by government which is responsible to the people?
    • What happens when organisations and the communities they support disagree? These organisations, even though privately funded, sometimes also receive government funds, tax breaks, and other government incentives. So are the communities they serve voiceless?
    • Is government too bureaucratic to be dynamic enough and willing to take enough risks in medical research to be effective in a world where science and technology are developing so quickly?

Would love to hear your opinions.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

You raise excellent, uncomfortable points. Yes, the American govt is definitely too bureaucratic and the uber rich are running the world. We little people do what we can. The sci cure will not likely be made available first in America, but my hope is that only sci help will be. I need some spinal cord regeneration HELP cuz I can use a walker briefly. This shouldn't be too much to ask since nothing since the 80s has ever been made available to help people with sci! -Jan