Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time working out after injury five years ago is this normal?

First time working out after injury five years ago is this normal?

I'm proud of myself that I'm finally getting off my ass and trying to do something. I put 2 pound sandwiches on my wrists but after doing my sets, I feel really lightheaded and its hard to breath.

Is this just from me being out of shape?

i'm C 5/6

Or is it because when moving my muscles the blood flow goes away from my head and makes me dizzy?

Regarding the breathing, is that just because I can no longer control my trunk so my diaphragm needs to do all the work and it's kind of weak right now since I haven't done much with it?

I'm not particularly concerned I'm just curious

I was using voice recognition to type this and it was originally meant to be sandbags but it turned out to be sandwiches instead so I'm keeping it that way.��
    Last edited by Sythellri; 10-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Alsowhile I was in rehab five years ago, they provided me with blood pressure medicine just in case my blood pressure started dropping whatever they were working with me. I forget the name but do you have the names of any common medicines to increase blood pressure?

I remember them passing them out like candy there.

I think you need to have a full physical exam to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think you need to have a full physical exam to start with.
    Would it be that serious? I was actually in the hospital quite recently for respite care while my family was on vacation. I only got out a few days ago. I didn't get any particular physical exam while there but I did work with PT/OT just nothing in tensive.

Surprised you started with 2 pound weights. If you check out your health and you're ok, you might consider much lighter weight to start, such as something that weighs 1/2 pound for a few days to get your arms used to it, then gradually increase. I'm sure you can handle the 2 pounds (in your head), but maybe your muscles need awakening.
    Still like the idea of lifting "sandwiches".

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Surprised you started with 2 pound weights. If you check out your health and you're ok, you might consider much lighter weight to start, such as something that weighs 1/2 pound for a few days to get your arms used to it, then gradually increase. I'm sure you can handle the 2 pounds (in your head), but maybe your muscles need awakening.
    Still like the idea of lifting "sandwiches".
    So far, the 2 pound weights seem all right but I've only been working out for a day or two. I don't think that's long enough to show any problems. I've just been doing basic stretching movements repeatedly while wearing these weights do you have any recommendations on certain movements to do for a quad? My right arm is a weaker too.

How many reps are you doing? Stick to no more than 10 reps in a set. Then increase the number of sets rather than the number of reps. as you build strength. Once you can do 5 sets, then consider starting again with slightly more weight.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    How many reps are you doing? Stick to no more than 10 reps in a set. Then increase the number of sets rather than the number of reps. as you build strength. Once you can do 5 sets, then consider starting again with slightly more weight.

(KLD)
    OK that might've been where I was going wrong. The old "are used to follow was the whole don't start counting unless it hurts" is that still all right?

What I've been doing so far is basically moving my arms until they start to feel a little bit of a burn then start counting to 30 then stopping until I catch my breath. Rinse and repeat after that.

Any particular motions you recommend? I've been trying to do some pretend swimming and basic stretching but I don't know what else to do. My PT appointment isn't for quite a while.

Here are some pretty good videos of arm exercises with weights for those with C5-6 tetraplegia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTvPa9oUvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBC_4MVXE-U

This one doesn't show using weights, but most can be done with weights as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfSiQMGUVI

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It's important to give yourself some time to build up your strength and stamina, and listen to your body. It's been five years since you've had workouts, so it'll take time. This video might help - it includes some guidance for strength conditioning, but I particularly like the aerobic video. Rather than just working with weights, it might help you to do some short aerobic work where you work on stamina and aerobic capacity. Just don't overdo it, especially in the beginning. Build up your workout regimen and be sure to give your body enough time to recover between workouts (your days 'off' are just as important as your workout days). Good luck!