Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying things in chair

I use strap around my legs to help keep them together; then I just use a wooden tray or whatever is available. Keeping the legs together really helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Many options. Rather than going through the process of ordering several before finding the best one, perhaps you could provide a link to show us the best one you have found.
    I?ve has these for many years, wouldn?t know where to find them today.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I?ve has these for many years, wouldn?t know where to find them today.
    See my last post for what I found. It's the least expensive, ideal size, and it comes with removable padding and a handle.

I use some different things to carry stuff in my lap. For Kitchen use cutting board is what I use most, always when taking hot stuff out of the microwave. I also have a cafeteria type tray with a bean bag on the bottom. I got mine from someone on etsy and it has holes in it in the middle of the bottom and bottom corners. I use zip ties, aka cable ties, through the holes to secure the tray to my seat belt in the middle. I used the corner loops on my old chair to hook into snap hooks attached to the arms of the chair. I also use my grocery basket a lot. It is a folding basket I actually got at my local grocery. It folds down flat for storage. It came with a strap for carrying and an insulated, zip top bag that fits inside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    See my last post for what I found. It's the least expensive, ideal size, and it comes with removable padding and a handle.

Yep, the second option is most like what I have. Mine are a little beefier (made back when a ?laptop? computer was still heavy as a brick). Mine have a little ‘pencil’ catcher to stop rolling off and a small light. I?ve taken (or broken) the light off them, though.

Looks very much like this one from Sears, except my ‘pencil’ stop is a small ridge closer to the bottom edge, not a trough.

http://m.sears.com/deluxe-comfort-la...SPM10534739519
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Homage to Trays:
    Two wheeler couple here - we use about 9 trays and two cutting boards for kitchen and household. Got 4 of trays, that "nest" together at Ikea years ago very cheap. They're lightweight plastic with about 1" rim all around, and a couple of inches wider than my lap on each side.
    The cutting boards, although I don't like plastic, fit easily on the trays. Not as heavy for me as wood. When done cutting I can lift off cutting board and still have tray on my lap for carrying stuff.

Two of the trays are small, with 1" sides and flat rubber "dots" to keep stuff from moving - use them for carrying coffee, etc. One big tray is full size and covered with those rubber dots but don't use it much. It sticks out too far past my knees, but the width is good.
    Also find it handy to keep a multitude of kitchen towels stacked near sink. Often grab one to lay across tray when removing something from oven to prevent sliding and also to prevent any heat getting on my legs underneath tray.

Always had a storage problem with these trays until recent past. My cleaning ladies found a "tray stand" that sits on the floor and (kinda shaped like a napkin holder), holds almost all the trays. They don't fall over anymore.
    Suggest if new construction in kitchen, have a tray/cutting board cubbyhole built in next to one of the kitchen cabinets but well above floor for easy reaching.

Sound like a lot of trays? We use them constantly. Hubby snatches them for garage chores and takes one in van for unloading groceries.
    'Nuff said. Oops, forgot that we also eat our meals from them, easier than table.

I bought this tray from Amazon about two years ago and use it almost every day. It's light, the size is perfect, and it's easy to balance things on the tray since you have a pillow under the tray. When I bought it, the price was about $30 though and the price today is $65. According to camelcamelcamel.com the price varies a lot. You could just set up an account on this site and wait for the price to drop, or shop around for something similar.

Nylon cutting board with one of those silicone baking mats on top of it to provide a no-slide surface.

I also use a cutting board like a few others same as August west post. I have dump and the front is elevated so things don't fall forward. Some of my customers purchase the enabler tray on my website. However if you ask me to much money just to carry stuff around. https://www.indemedical.com/ezEnable...ay_p_3207.html

I bought one of these for my mom: http://prestigeproductinc.com/e-comm...-catalog2.html

This one is similar, and inexpensive: https://www.amazon.com/Homework-Writ...AXT6MW30XPH9BF

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.