Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying things in chair

Wink Carrying things in chair

Hi all,
    im transitioning to using my chair inside ( PPMS) what do other folks use to carry things on your lap? We?re getting a new kitchen and I want to be able to rattle some pots and pans. Thanks in advance.

I use a wodden cutting board. That needs your knees to be higher than your hips in order to keep the items from falling forward. The best way to do that is with dump (the difference between the front seat height and back seat height). An alternate solution is to raise the footplate. But that increases the pressure on your butt.

I also use luggage racks mounted to the front bars. Luggage racks enable me to carry items that are too large and heavy for the lap. I haven't found uses for the luggage racks in the kitchen. They are useful for travel and shopping (a place to rest a hand basket). In order to keep items from falling out forward, the front angle should be less than 90 degrees. TiLite sells metal ones for over $100. But you can find plastic ones from a third party for about $40. I prefer the plastic ones because they are lighter and more adjustable. The plastic ones mount to 1" tubing (TiLite TR). They won't fit on wheelchairs with 1.25" tubing (TiLite ZR).
    Last edited by August West; 10-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I use a wodden cutting board. That needs your knees to be higher than your hips in order to keep the items from falling forward. The best way to do that is with dump (the difference between the front seat height and back seat height). An alternate solution is to raise the footplate. But that increases the pressure on your butt.
    Maybe a tray with a non slip surface would be better than a wooden cutting board. Wooden boards can be slippery and without a lip won't retain the contents of a small spill. Trays with a "pillow" bottom that conform to your lap may make carry things on a tray more stable.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.

I use a cardboard box on the lap. They come in all sizes and shapes. lol Use the big cutting board for hot pans.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Maybe a tray with a non slip surface would be better than a wooden cutting board. Wooden boards can be slippery and without a lip won't retain the contents of a small spill. Trays with a "pillow" bottom that conform to your lap may make carry things on a tray more stable.
    Good idea. I think you can find laptop boards with a pillow underneath in order to adjust the angle. This would save the day if you didn't have adequate dump. However, if you have adequate dump then the pillow is a redundant feature that makes it more bulky and difficult to store. The cutting board is thin and already in the kitchen cabinet and always ready to go. Cutting boards also have a lip to catch small spills. However, this lip is only practical in a perfectly horizontal position. Regardless, I wouldn't carry liquid items this way. I use a cup holder mounted to the front bars for glasses and bottles. If I have multiple glasses that means there's someone else with me and they can carry the glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I use a cardboard box on the lap. They come in all sizes and shapes. lol Use the big cutting board for hot pans.
    A cardboard box catches produce and other items that may roll. Good synergy in this post. This is how we help each other.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Good idea. I think you can find laptop boards with a pillow underneath in order to adjust the angle. This would save the day if you didn't have adequate dump. However, if you have adequate dump then the pillow is a redundant feature that makes it more bulky and difficult to store. The cutting board is thin and already in the kitchen cabinet and always ready to go. Cutting boards also have a lip to catch small spills. However, this lip is only practical in a perfectly horizontal position. Regardless, I wouldn't carry liquid items this way. I use a cup holder mounted to the front bars for glasses and bottles. If I have multiple glasses that means there's someone else with me and they can carry the glasses.

That at is exactly what I use. I have a couple stashed around the house and they work great for when I want a stable surface on my lap. I use them for doing all sorts of stuff. I need the pillow bottom to help level it out, otherwise it?s not flat enough or stable enough to use well.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Don't know if you have room but best kitchen we ever had was a L shape on short side with stove-top and around on long side of L to sink and then fridge. It was easy to slide tray but stove top was only hangup but with smooth tops now that should make it easy.
    "Good Luck!" and happy cooking!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    That at is exactly what I use. I have a couple stashed around the house and they work great for when I want a stable surface on my lap. I use them for doing all sorts of stuff. I need the pillow bottom to help level it out, otherwise it?s not flat enough or stable enough to use well.
    Many options. Rather than going through the process of ordering several before finding the best one, perhaps you could provide a link to show us the best one you have found.

If a cutting board doesn't cut it, here's a few options that combines everything else we all recommended.

A) Cardboard box. Done. Love the cost, simplicity, and practicality.
    Options:

1. shelf liner inside the cardboard box
    2. glue the box on top of a wedge cushion if padding and angle are desired. The wedge cushion in the link has a nonslip bottom.

B) A more fancy and flexible version of same thing is a padded laptop desk
    Options:

1. shelf liner glued to it's top. In this case, you want a shelf liner that is sticky on both sides. A small dab of silicone glue in the four corner will enable the liner to be removed for cleaning.
    2. Low profile container on top of the laptop desk assembly for multiple items or items that roll.
    Last edited by August West; 10-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.