Thread: We're almost there, Pennsylvania- access aisle enforcement!

We're almost there, Pennsylvania- access aisle enforcement!

Senate Bill 888 passed the Senate unanimously today! I wish this would have occurred 10 years ago, but big thanks to Senators Rafferty and Martin!

http://www.senatorrafferty.com/2017/...arking-access/
    Dave

Nice!
    When we get rid of Christie, we will try the same.

That is excellent! I always thought it should be a felony.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Pa Senate Bill 888 was signed by Governor Tom Wolf today! The bill addresses access aisles and finally makes it illegal (in clearly written wording) to block an access aisle. Woohoo! Its a watered down version of the bill we really wanted, but its a win anyway.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...r=0888&pn=1154
    Dave

What in the world is this?

You mean until now it was perfectly legal to block the aisle and they couldn't even get towed? That's nuts. What's the point of hashmarked loading zones and walkways if you can park there without consequence.

Good job Herco!

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

You mean until now it was perfectly legal to block the aisle and they couldn't even get towed? That's nuts. What's the point of hashmarked loading zones and walkways if you can park there without consequence.
    Thats exactly what it meant, funklab.

There was enough gray area that any disabled person could actually park in the access aisle, and enough reasonable doubt under state law that the access aisle was even part of the handicapped space that many judges threw out any citations IF the police issued them. (which was rare) I can't beleive its taken more than 10 years since my first attempt, but at least its done.
    Dave

It is a start. But I can tell you from experience, without provisions for vigorous enforcement, the laws are useless. The area sheriffs depts. have volunteer groups doing some enforcement but it a drop in the bucket considering the need.

I'd really like to see communities have more volunteer patrols for handicapped parking control.

As an aside...why is "SCIfor55+years" post count only 19? Is it because of a name change?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

I agree 100%! How is that possible?