Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    I'm seeing a trend. Vastly misinterpreting posts and trying to pick a fight. Feel free to re-read what I said, I also attached an image for you from USDA's website. Not my words, and not engaging with you anymore.
    You're obviously a smart guy with lots of ideas to offer. We have a small community and I wish you will continue to discuss with me. My intent isn't to fight. My intent is to encourage people to try out of the box ideas on this very important topic of food. In my 34+ years with SCI, food related issues have caused problems for me in my personal life, family life, career, and just about every other aspect of my life. What keeps me going is hope. That is what I am addressing.

Sure, with a technical background I appreciate the value in double-blind scientific pier reviewed studies (and a cherry on top). But sometimes there is more value in my own trial and error. Many of the greatest inventions were discovered by pure luck. For example, the post-it note was discovered by someone trying to develop super glue. The more I experiment with food, the more likely that I will discover something useful. Hence, all options were on the table when it came to finding a solution for food related issues. Because even if the solutions I was considering lacked scientific proof and even if they seemed downright flaky, there was always the chance that I would learn something in the process even if inadvertently. It was this approach that transformed my life to the point where I have my weight right where it needs to be and I spend 5 minutes on the commode. That's without supplements or laxatives. It's all done with food and lifestyle. So when I hear someone discouraging others from trying unconventional solutions because there is no scientific proof, well to put it nicely I feel like I owe it to our community to break that paradigm.

To all those reading this, never give up hope. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you. Don't be discouraged to try something just because someone told you there is no science behind it. Then remind the naysayer of all the doctors' recommendations with plenty of science behind them that failed you. Keep your chin up and persist by being your own best advocate.
    Last edited by August West; 10-21-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    I've read that SCI burn less calories than able bodies - by about 20%. Make sense, because lack of tone and those muscles not doing anything to burn at rest. I have also read that SCI burn the same amount as able bodies and the SCI doesn't make a difference, at rest of course.
    Whats the consensus here ? Anyone lose weight by calorie counting ? The reason I ask, is that I have been counting for about 10 days. I punched my info on myfitness pal and set it to lose 1.5lb a week, sorta giving myself some wiggle room if I do indeed burn less calories idle - so actual goal is 1lb a week. Wanna lose like 10-20 pounds. I'm eating no more than 1650 a day. I just hope that's enough.....guess Ill find out in a few months if I do indeed need to eat less that that -_-

Weight loss is all about calories. To lose weight it's a must that we have to consume less or burn more calories than our body needs. Even if someone tried to lose weight by burning calories through exercise, one still has to count calories. If one don't then he/she can easily fill up the calories he/she just burnt at exercise. I personally saw my aunt got success on weight loss by counting calories and taking phen375. She also told me that she didn't consist her diet based on only calorie but also from the point of nutritional value of the food. She ate plenty of vegetables and drunk plenty of water during her weight loss period. Well, that was my aunt weight loss story but by reading so many content on weight loss in internet, I have learned that consuming less calories than one need is one and only key to lose weight.
    Last edited by Ryan689; 08-05-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Not so simple as counting calories. Because not all calories are the same. Calories in sugar vs calories in raw veggies metabolize differently. I can eat all the raw veggies I want and still lose weight. Whereas even a little sugar works against me. I'm not saying counting calories is meaningless. I am saying that food selection is more important than counting calories.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Not so simple as counting calories. Because not all calories are the same. Calories in sugar vs calories in raw veggies metabolize differently. I can eat all the raw veggies I want and still lose weight. Whereas even a little sugar works against me. I'm not saying counting calories is meaningless. I am saying that food selection is more important than counting calories.
    Good luck eating 1,600 calories in raw veggies in one day.

Exactly. You'd be full before you reached that amount. Hence, food selection can automatically regulate calorie count.

calorie deficit is the only way to lose. start with a bmr calculator based on age height weight, deduct 25% for sci then subtract 500 cals. never factor exercise calories back in, exercise just helps keep a deficit. im down 45 lbs now. below is how i did it. i use IF M-F then eat drink whatever i want sat/sun. this keeps my metabolism going.
    MWF- 24 HR FAST dinner to dinner then 600 cal meal
    t/th- 1000 cals
    SAT/SUN - anything i want
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You have a very good point @August West that not all the calories are the same. We still have to focus on the nutritional value of the food that we choose to add in our weight loss diet. Vegetables are the best Weight Loss friendly foods as they low in calories but high in essential vitamins and minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im down 45 lbs now. below is how i did it. i use IF M-F then eat drink whatever i want sat/sun. this keeps my metabolism going.
    t/th- 1000 cals
    John, did you hit any weight loss plateaus on that plan?
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    calorie deficit is the only way to lose. start with a bmr calculator based on age height weight, deduct 25% for sci then subtract 500 cals. never factor exercise calories back in, exercise just helps keep a deficit. im down 45 lbs now. below is how i did it. i use IF M-F then eat drink whatever i want sat/sun. this keeps my metabolism going.
    t/th- 1000 cals
    Damn man, that's incredibly low kcals, but I bet that's perfect for a quad like you; crazy how our bodies change post SCI. I had my RMR tested and I was at 1459 kcals. When I track my calories well I try to eat 1300-1400. I've wanted to get leaner to look more "shredded," since I lift, but I find it very very hard to only eat 1000 kcals, even 1500 I can blow through quickly. I've definitely stalled when it comes to weight loss. Realistically, I think the only way for me to lose more weight is cardio. Can't stand it but that's probably the only way I'll get a good caloric deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    Damn man, that's incredibly low kcals, but I bet that's perfect for a quad like you; crazy how our bodies change post SCI. I had my RMR tested and I was at 1459 kcals. When I track my calories well I try to eat 1300-1400. I've wanted to get leaner to look more "shredded," since I lift, but I find it very very hard to only eat 1000 kcals, even 1500 I can blow through quickly. I've definitely stalled when it comes to weight loss. Realistically, I think the only way for me to lose more weight is cardio. Can't stand it but that's probably the only way I'll get a good caloric deficit.
    If you eat real healthy calories though, you won't blow through as quickly.