Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, I went to a nutritionist to ask for some insight. I wanted to know if there may be any nutritional problems and if so how to compensate for them. When asked this question, she replied "what is gluten?"
    A good example of why you should have consulted an RD instead of someone with no training or credentials.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

She worked in a doctor's office so I thought there would be some credibility. As it turns out she wasn't well trained or experienced. She couldn't respond to any of my questions. I was wondering who could this person possibly help. I asked her who most of her patients are. She said pregnant women and diabetics. In other words, her abilities were probably limited to working off a cheat sheet - paint by numbers.

Here is some information about RDs (Registered dietitians) from their certifying organization: https://www.diet.com/g/american-dietetic-association#K

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry to disagree. Nutrition is in fact a higher education degree conferred speciality and there are many good people working in the field of nutrition. You have to have the ability to separate the charlatans from the hard working people who try to make a difference. Unfortunately, it seems the charlatans with some charisma are the ones that give the field a bad name. But, don't be too hasty to paint the whole field with a broad brush. When I was battling non Hodgkins lymphoma, the nutritionist on the team was vital to how I felt during the treatments.
    I know, as I have a degree in nutritional sciences and biochemistry. Not the dietetics route, as I had zero desire to be an RD, but the nutritional sciences route that focuses more on the biochemistry and sciency aspects of nutrition. Am I an expert? Nope, and I don't pretend to be. But the biggest thing I learned in 4 years is we don't know much, and much of what we have known up to this point is aspects of food in isolation (this vitamin, or that nutrient, or whatever, and what it's effects are). Nutrition is a lot more important than we think, and it can affect us in ways down to the level of epigenetics, but we don't know enough yet. There's so much synergism going on that we can't even begin to understand in 2017. If someone tries to tell you otherwise, they're full of shit.

Food is medicine, and clinical nutrition is huge, but there's so much crap out there it's unbelievable. Nonetheless, "nutritionist" doesn't mean anything. A registered dietician means something.

The BRCA-1 gene/mutation and fruit/vegetable study is always something I point to. Fruits and vegetables are protective, eat them.

It just makes me sad at how wild west nutrition is outside of a hospital setting. It all comes back to legislation, capitalism, and what the government can/can't regulate in terms of the supplement market, but there's just so much pseudoscience pushed around every single day. Not to mention these sensationalist interpretations of studies: this causes cancer, actually it's good for you now! Eat more of this, don't eat more of that, buy this book, strap this vibrating doo-dad to your head, don't eat conventional foods because they're poison, drink this supercharged crystal water. It's modern day snake oil, all of it.

The one thing that always gets people in conversation is organic. Look at the definition of organic on the FDA website. It's a MARKETING PROGRAM, it has absolutely nothing to do with environmental safety, health, or animal welfare PERIOD; it's not my words, it's the FDA's. Organic is a set of rules regarding cultivating foods with specific pesticidal products. Everything else in the production is the same, and there's no evidence that proves organic is any better, or healthier, than conventional products. A lot of times farmers have to double up on allowed organic pesticides to deal with issues and use MORE just to meet the organic label when they could've used less product had it been conventional.

It's simply been this myth perpetuated forever now, and 99% of the population believes organic = healthier. It's sad, but why would company's care? They can charge more!

/end rant
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 10-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Medical schools provide very little course work in nutrition for men and women studying medicine to become doctors. I guess they must be instructed to rely on referring to registered dietitians, but most physicians are probably as naive about nutrition as the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    I know, as I have a degree in nutritional sciences and biochemistry. Not the dietetics route, as I had zero desire to be an RD, but the nutritional sciences route that focuses more on the biochemistry and sciency aspects of nutrition. Am I an expert? Nope, and I don't pretend to be. But the biggest thing I learned in 4 years is we don't know much, and much of what we have known up to this point is aspects of food in isolation (this vitamin, or that nutrient, or whatever, and what it's effects are). Nutrition is a lot more important than we think, and it can affect us in ways down to the level of epigenetics, but we don't know enough yet. There's so much synergism going on that we can't even begin to understand in 2017. If someone tries to tell you otherwise, they're full of shit.

Food is medicine, and clinical nutrition is huge, but there's so much crap out there it's unbelievable. Nonetheless, "nutritionist" doesn't mean anything. A registered dietician means something.

The BRCA-1 gene/mutation and fruit/vegetable study is always something I point to. Fruits and vegetables are protective, eat them.

It just makes me sad at how wild west nutrition is outside of a hospital setting. It all comes back to legislation, capitalism, and what the government can/can't regulate in terms of the supplement market, but there's just so much pseudoscience pushed around every single day. Not to mention these sensationalist interpretations of studies: this causes cancer, actually it's good for you now! Eat more of this, don't eat more of that, buy this book, strap this vibrating doo-dad to your head, don't eat conventional foods because they're poison, drink this supercharged crystal water. It's modern day snake oil, all of it.

The one thing that always gets people in conversation is organic. Look at the definition of organic on the FDA website. It's a MARKETING PROGRAM, it has absolutely nothing to do with environmental safety, health, or animal welfare PERIOD. It's simply a set of rules regarding cultivating foods with specific pesticidal products. Everything else in the production is the same, and there's no evidence that proves organic is any better, or healthier, than conventional products. A lot of times farmers have to double up on allowed organic pesticides and use MORE just to meet the organic label when they could've used less product had it been conventional.

It's simply been this myth perpetuated forever now, and 99% of the population believes organic = healthier. It's sad, but why would company's care? They can charge more!

/end rant
    I'm seeing a trend. You start out humble by saying things like "with all due respect" and "I don't know much". But then you follow up with dogma and insults - everyone is full of shit and it's "all" snake oil, including the entire organic food industry. Really? I guess you do know it all.

I'm seeing a trend. You start out humble by saying things like "with all due respect" and "I don't know much". But then you follow up with dogma and insults - everyone is full of shit and it's "all" snake oil, including the entire organic food industry. Really? I guess you do know it all.
    Really? That's what you got from my post, that I think I know it all, after specifically saying I don't? Dogma and insults? Did I say the entire organic food industry is snake oil? Where? You're entitled to believe whatever you want regarding organic, I was just saying it has nothing to do with health, which a lot of people don't know; read the last line.

I'd suggest re-reading my post again because you completely misinterpreted everything I said.
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 10-20-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Really? That's what you got from my post, that I think I know it all, after specifically saying I don't? Please re-read my post again and have a great night!
    Key word is all. The only way someone can know "all" of it is snake oil is if they know it "all". How else could they know?

Key word is all. The only way someone can know "all" of it is snake oil is if they know it "all". How else could they know?
    I'm seeing a trend. Vastly misinterpreting posts and trying to pick a fight. Feel free to re-read what I said, I also attached an image for you from USDA's website. Not my words, and not engaging with you anymore.

The one thing that always gets people in conversation is organic. Look at the definition of organic on the FDA website. It's a MARKETING PROGRAM, it has absolutely nothing to do with environmental safety, health, or animal welfare PERIOD; it's not my words, it's the FDA's. Organic is a set of rules regarding cultivating foods with specific pesticidal products. Everything else in the production is the same, and there's no evidence that proves organic is any better, or healthier, than conventional products. A lot of times farmers have to double up on allowed organic pesticides to deal with issues and use MORE just to meet the organic label when they could've used less product had it been conventional.

/end rant
    My brother is a farmer and complains of this very thing, often! Organic costs more - it looks terrible and is always smaller. Bring on the pesticides! lol I'll take my super huge strawberries and waxy gleaming gala apples thanks!

If you want to pay more for less .. and have the convenience of hitting the store every day 'cause your veggies and fruits aren't going to last as long, have at it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12