Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

The notion of food combining may have come from planning a healthy vegetarian diet. In a plant based diet, it is indeed necessary to eat plant food combinations over the course of the day, not necessarily at one meal, to provide the essential amino acids. An example of these combinations is legumes and grains, for example beans and rice.

Last edited by gjnl; 10-19-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Yeah, I don't deprive myself. I look at it this way....so many things I cant control in my life anymore, but I CAN control what I put into my body and my weight. I already feel gross for being in a wheel chair, I don't need to make it worse lol. I dropped to 1500 per day and Ill see what I weigh next time I go to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The notion of food combining may have come from planning a healthy vegetarian diet.
    No, it came from a bunch of "health experts" trying to push the next nutrition scam on uninformed people to make a quick buck: https://health.usnews.com/health-new...food-combining

I hate all this nonsense about nutrition, with a passion. Everyone these days is a "nutritionist," which isn't actually a regulated title at all. My dog is a nutritionist.
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 10-19-2017 at 09:35 PM.

PPJumper. What do you think of that little gizmo ? The link is in OP.

What about keto?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    No, it came from a bunch of "health experts" trying to push the next nutrition scam on uninformed people to make a quick buck: https://health.usnews.com/health-new...food-combining

I hate all this nonsense about nutrition, with a passion. Everyone these days is a "nutritionist," which isn't actually a regulated title at all. My dog is a nutritionist.
    Sorry to disagree. Nutrition is in fact a higher education degree conferred speciality and there are many good people working in the field of nutrition. You have to have the ability to separate the charlatans from the hard working people who try to make a difference. Unfortunately, it seems the charlatans with some charisma are the ones that give the field a bad name. But, don't be too hasty to paint the whole field with a broad brush. When I was battling non Hodgkins lymphoma, the nutritionist on the team was vital to how I felt during the treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    What about keto?
    Keto cum Atkins cum Paleo..all fads... the key is eat everything in moderation...that is a balanced diet/

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    True. The title "nutritionist" has no meaning and indicates no expertise or special training in this area. If you want to work with someone who has an education in evidence based, scientific based nutrition, look for someone who is an RD (registered dietitian).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Mea culpa...my terminology is off. It seems that nutritionist is associated with alternative practices and dietitian is associated with degrees conferred upon those who pursue higher education in this science. And in fact, I had a registered dietician on my oncology team when I was treated for non Hodgkins lymphoma.

When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, I went to a nutritionist to ask for some insight. I wanted to know if there may be any nutritional problems and if so how to compensate for them. When asked this question, she replied "what is gluten?"