Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    There's no special magic to combining foods...At least nothing that has stood up to the tests of science.
    Wrong. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277161

You know the difference between an engineer and a scientist? An engineer is happy when he finds a solution. A scientist isn't happy until he can explain the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    But I've always had a high metabolism, even though I am hypothyroid, taking Levothyroxine, and am about mid range in thyroid blood test while medicated. I'd suggest everyone get a thyroid blood test once a year as part of an annual physical.
    This makes me seriously jealous! Hypothyroid since age 23 and never felt the same nor could I lose weight as quickly.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

as adults, accountability is important. I enjoy food and drink, however I limit it to the weekends, mainly.

good points GJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Back in the 60s or 70s there was a health guru...can't remember which one who advocated that you can't DIEt you need to find an eating plan to LIVEit. I still think that is good advice for today. Find an eating plan that maintains a sensible weight for you and make it your lifestyle. Don't eliminate all of the things you love to eat, just make a time to eat those things and in smaller portions. Eat and drink in MODERATION. Yes there may be times when you have over indulged and you'll need to atone for those times, but you can do that with MODERATION in mind. Denying yourself the tastes and flavors you love is just setting yourself up for failure. Eat what you like, but choose to eat only half or three quarters of the portion you would normally eat.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    if you cant exercise 1500 is way to much. I'm very active and exercise daily and I set my daily goal at 1200 to lose a quick 10 after the holidays.
    I'd better get used to being fat. Can't eat any less than I do and snacks are one of the few pleasurable things left in life.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    I put my activity level to the lowest "not very active". When I went one up to "light activity" it said my goal was 1950. I know for sure that is way to much for my condition. T5 paraplegic. Maybe test out different types of food your eating to sustain you while staying under 1500 ? Have you tried that ? Or hit your 1500 so you don't feel bad and figure out which foods can sustain you longer then drop it from there.
    I'm happy with what I eat, very limited diet but enjoy snacks so chocolate biscuits, bananas, dates all get eaten through the day. I want to lose weight but not at the expense of stopping sweet snacks, I have few, if any, pleasures in life and don't want to lose one I really enjoy.

With all due respect, those statements are prime examples of what I was referring to before as pseudoscience. You put on weight because you consume more calories than you expend, and no, there's not 5 pounds of meat in every American male's intestines.

If certain foods make you feel good, eat them. If certain foods make you feel bad, don't eat them. There's no special magic to combining foods, or eating for your blood type, or any of the other fad "guru" BS out there. At least nothing that has stood up to the tests of science. Gluten isn't the devil, artificial sweeteners aren't going to kill you, organic is not healthier than conventional, etc, etc.

Eat a varied diet that includes a lot of fruits and vegetables, keep your portions in check, and exercise. Done.
    Agree. Rule of thumb, cut 500 calories from what you are currently eating daily, and you should loose a safe 1 lb. per week with the same activity level. You may loose more if you increase your calorie expenditure at the same time (ie, aerobic exercise). Smaller portions are best, but if your diet was mostly junk food before, you may need to adjust WHAT you eat as well. Good idea to take a multi-vitamin if you are cutting back significantly on food. Target weights for someone with paraplegia are about 10% less than those who are AB at the same height/build, and 15% less for those with tetraplegia.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Wrong. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277161

You know the difference between an engineer and a scientist? An engineer is happy when he finds a solution. A scientist isn't happy until he can explain the solution.
    That's not food combining in the nutrition BS business, that's absorption/bio-availability. Carotenoids are vitamin A derivatives, plant pigments that show a lot of promise for anti-cancer and other health benefits. Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) are fat soluble, that's why it's good to eat your salad with full fat dressing.

That's a lot different from the guru BS of "Food A is bad for you but when you combine it with Food B all of a sudden it's good."

That's not food combining in the nutrition BS business, that's absorption/bio-availability. Carotenoids are vitamin A derivatives, plant pigments that show a lot of promise for anti-cancer and other health benefits. Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) are fat soluble, that's why it's good to eat your salad with full fat dressing.

That's a lot different from the guru BS of "Food A is bad for you but when you combine it with Food B all of a sudden it's good."
    Semantics. Whatever you want to call it, there is potential benefit in eating certain foods together. Glad you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Semantics. Whatever you want to call it, there is potential benefit in eating certain foods together. Glad you agree.
    No point in beating a dead horse. I never said there's no benefit to eating certain foods together, I said the myth of food combining, based on the idea that certain foods are incompatible or must be eaten together is a bunch of crap. It goes against basic digestion and how our bodies work.

No point in beating a dead horse. I never said there's no benefit to eating certain foods together, I said the myth of food combining, based on the idea that certain foods are incompatible or must be eaten together is a bunch of crap. It goes against basic digestion and how our bodies work.
    Not a dead horse but it will be soon. What I wasn't getting (and I guess others may have missed as well) is that food combining is actually a thing.

Food combining (also known as trophology) is a term for a nutritional approach that advocates specific combinations of foods as central to good health and weight loss (such as not mixing carbohydrate-rich foods and protein-rich foods in the same meal).

Agreed that sounds flaky.