Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 332

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

  1. #11
    So let me preface this by saying I lift weights and am pretty muscular. I only go twice a week and cardio training is non-existent currently, so I would consider myself on the lower end of athlete in terms of activity level.

    The nutrition department at my university has RMR (resting metabolic rate) testing. I studied nutrition in undergrad and always wanted to get this done, but never did pre-injury; I wish I would have so I could compare the effects of SCI on me personally. I'd suggest you guys look up if your nearby university does it, as they'll usually do it for cheap.

    For me, my RMR was higher than the standard predictive equation for paraplegia which is 28 kcal/kg for my weight by 135 kcal (nothing really, but I guess that's the effect of muscle). With that said, my RMR is 1458 kcal/day, and 1750-1895 kcal/day after plugging it into the equation with activity factors, etc. It is quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.


    The non-gold standard test, which is what I did, requires you to fast in the morning and breathe into a machine while lying down for 20 minutes. Might help some of you to get some numbers, might make tracking and making a game plan easier.
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 10-17-2017 at 01:31 PM.

  2. #12
    This may help:

    What is BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate?
    Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate to Lose Weight

    By Malia Frey | Reviewed by a board-certified physician
    Updated September 26, 2017


    https://www.verywell.com/basal-metabolic-rate-1229751

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This may help:

    What is BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate?
    Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate to Lose Weight

    By Malia Frey | Reviewed by a board-certified physician
    Updated September 26, 2017


    https://www.verywell.com/basal-metabolic-rate-1229751
    Harris Benedict equation tends to overestimate by at least 5% and is not used as much as it used to be. The Mifflin St. Jeor equation is a better predictor and has more activity factors, but for SCI population none of these are great predictors, especially for quads. I'd spend one morning getting indirect calorimetry done if you really want to know.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.
    You think so ? I thought 1lb a week was the gold standard target to hit.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.
    Its actually not been to difficult to keep going. I eat pretty clean, but I can also have the occasional treat - like a burger, all while not going over my target. Id rather have a good entr?e than a dessert if I had to choose between the calories. I eat fruits and veggies everyday. I was thinking about going almost vegetarian so I wouldn't have to count calories, but that's difficult because I feel hungrier more often and would constantly have to eat. Like those chimps eating leaves all day.

    I don't have much of an appetite either, but its pretty easy to consume way more calories than you think.

    Got a kitchen scale coming in tomorrow, with those little black plastic containers. Gonna start getting creative.

  6. #16
    One to two pounds a week is a sensible weight loss goal for the general population. With reduced activity levels in spinal cord injured, the goal is going to be on the low side or lower than that range.

    How much should you weigh after a spinal cord injury?

    Spinal cord injury results in changes in body composition so there is a lower percentage of muscle tissue. For this reason, healthy weight guidelines for the general public have to be adjusted for people with SCI. One common guideline is the Metropolitan Life Desirable Weight Tables. To apply this guideline to the SCI population, research evidence suggests that individuals with paraplegia should weigh 5-10% less than the guidelines and those with tetraplegia, 10-15% less.


    Calorie needs

    Persons with SCI have reduced metabolic activity due to denervated muscle and therefore need fewer calories than non-paralyzed individuals. General guidelines suggest that persons with paraplegia need about 28 calories per kilogram (kg) of your ideal body weight. If you have tetraplegia, you need about 23 calories per kg of ideal body weight (the weight you should be). To determine your weight in kg, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. For example, if you have tetraplegia and your ideal weight is 175 lbs., divide that number by 2.2, which equals 79 kg. Multiply 79 kg by 23 calories, and you get about 1,800 calories per day. These are only general guides, however, and do not account for differences in age, gender or activity levels. You will need to make adjustments based on your own experience with gaining or losing weight.


    Everyday Nutrition for Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury

    April 12, 2011

    A presentation by Vickeri Barton, RD, Associate Director of Nutrition Services at Harborview Medical Center and Susie Kim, OTR/L, Occupational Therapy Clinical Specialist at Harborview Medical Center.

    http://sci.washington.edu/info/forum...n_2011.asp#bmi

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Calorie count using perfect diet tracker, set to lose 5 kg in 3 months, target is about 1500 per day which I have stuck to for months but I have only stayed at the same weight. I came to the conclusion even putting low exercise in as my activity level SCI requires even less than 1500 to lose weight. I can't eat any less, already start shaking as I wait for dinner and need to snack through the day to keep energy level up. C3 so can't do any exercise although do use my FES bike every day which burns about 40 calories for 90 minutes pedalling.
    I put my activity level to the lowest "not very active". When I went one up to "light activity" it said my goal was 1950. I know for sure that is way to much for my condition. T5 paraplegic. Maybe test out different types of food your eating to sustain you while staying under 1500 ? Have you tried that ? Or hit your 1500 so you don't feel bad and figure out which foods can sustain you longer then drop it from there.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    if you cant exercise 1500 is way to much. I'm very active and exercise daily and I set my daily goal at 1200 to lose a quick 10 after the holidays.
    What do you eat ? Do you eat back your calories that you have burned ?

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    So let me preface this by saying I lift weights and am pretty muscular. I only go twice a week and cardio training is non-existent currently, so I would consider myself on the lower end of athlete in terms of activity level.

    The nutrition department at my university has RMR (resting metabolic rate) testing. I studied nutrition in undergrad and always wanted to get this done, but never did pre-injury; I wish I would have so I could compare the effects of SCI on me personally. I'd suggest you guys look up if your nearby university does it, as they'll usually do it for cheap.

    For me, my RMR was higher than the standard predictive equation for paraplegia which is 28 kcal/kg for my weight by 135 kcal (nothing really, but I guess that's the effect of muscle). With that said, my RMR is 1458 kcal/day, and 1750-1895 kcal/day after plugging it into the equation with activity factors, etc. It is quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.


    The non-gold standard test, which is what I did, requires you to fast in the morning and breathe into a machine while lying down for 20 minutes. Might help some of you to get some numbers, might make tracking and making a game plan easier.
    Whats up man, you were on the other forum. We got to talking about computers and you showed me your shoebox haha. I'm on my built PC now.

    Whats your weight, height and injury level ? So I'm probably not losing weight at 1650 then.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    What do you eat ? Do you eat back your calories that you have burned ?
    no, I never add my burnt cals back in.
    I'm 6'2 215ish give or take 10 lbs depending if not cycling season. I'm c6.

    at 1200 cals m-f I can lose 2lb per week. exercise exercise exercise


    8 oz chk breast, 6oz sweet potatoe and a pile of veggies would be a dinner.
    breakfast 6-8 oz egg whites with 1/2 cup oats

    we weigh everything during the week and eat what we want on weekends.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
  3. Weight Training Not Enough for Weight Loss
    By Max in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:00 AM
  4. Calories vs Weight Loss
    By Shawn in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •