Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Those out of town days are double-edged swords, you want to get away but you know the diet will stall!

My first week went fine, the hunger on fast days was bad for a few hours but then it subsided and I filled the time I would have been thinking about food with reading and watching old movies. I don't know how much weight I lost, because I decided to weigh myself on Mondays - but I feel lighter and also noticed that my left leg and foot, which are usually a little swollen, look less puffy. The hardest thing for me so far is getting it through my head that I can eat whatever I want today and tomorrow - the temptation to stick to 1000 cal/day is powerful. I made a slow start by having a hearty breakfast that was still under 800 calories, so that I can ease my way into the weekend pattern.

It's great that you're down to the last 2 pounds! (hey, it's Saturday, we can raise a glass). Will post again on Monday after weighing in.
    nice job. u can tailor your program to fit your needs. for me if i didnt eat sat/sun my metabolism would slow big time. i attribute the fact that i havent stalled at all to refeeding sat/sun. even after eating 4 days and drinking i will still be down next Saturday likely. if you eat sat/sun weighing monday wont be good
    i still have 2lb to go to get to my final goal.
    and yes i notice less edema when fasting as well, and less overall bloating. if im feeling real bloated monday morning after indulging on the weekend, i'll do a 36 hr fast then feel great
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    nice job. u can tailor your program to fit your needs. for me if i didnt eat sat/sun my metabolism would slow big time. i attribute the fact that i havent stalled at all to refeeding sat/sun. even after eating 4 days and drinking i will still be down next Saturday likely. if you eat sat/sun weighing monday wont be good
    i still have 2lb to go to get to my final goal.
    and yes i notice less edema when fasting as well, and less overall bloating. if im feeling real bloated monday morning after indulging on the weekend, i'll do a 36 hr fast then feel great
    Yeah, you're right...Monday would be the worst day to weigh myself, after eating all weekend. Thanks for pointing that out, I was stuck in the old weighing routine. I'll weigh myself on Saturday mornings instead, after the Friday fast. Will post weight loss next Saturday.

I hope you reach your goal on a Saturday or Sunday so that you can celebrate with abandon!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

What impact does IF have on your bowel routine? I can't imagine that it is easy to avoid accidents when your body has so varied food intake.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    What impact does IF have on your bowel routine? I can't imagine that it is easy to avoid accidents when your body has so varied food intake.
    No accidents but you go less of course. If anything you can get a little bound up. I avoid this by taking a half dose of miralax 2 times per week.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    This is the biggest problem that I am having. It seems that at age 80 and 63 years post injury, my bowels have very little flexibility.Once I get my unsoluable fiber down to a certain level, it is either diarrhea or constipation. Then it takes a month to get things back under control. I cannot get down below 18-1900 calories. That is not enough to stop my weight gain let alone shed some pounds.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Couldn't sleep and woke up very hungry, so I decided to weigh myself this morning for incentive - it's been 10 days on the IF plan. I've lost 2.5 pounds! There have been no bad side effects so far. The most striking thing is the reduction of swelling in my left leg and foot - I'm seeing little veins and tendons in my foot that I haven't seen in a long time and my shoe and KAFO fit better. Marks from the KAFO go away very soon after removal. On Sat/Sun, I did not go crazy but ate about 2000 calories/day, and swelling came back a little bit - not much, but ankle was puffier - and diminished again after fasting on Monday.

I found a really informative website with lots of detailed info on IF and variations on how to structure the fast: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide It confirmed reports that men and women respond differently to the hormonal aspects of IF. Women seem to do better on the type of IF where you eat between, say, 10 AM and 8 PM, which gives the body a 14 hour digestive rest period. Men do fine with 16 hour fasts on that plan. There are several variations on IF and I'm going to try the 14-hour type because of the gender info that's starting to be studied. As fuentejps has said, people can experiment and find out the plan that works best for them and that they can stick with.

My thanks to fuentejps for all the tips and encouragement!

Couldn't sleep and woke up very hungry, so I decided to weigh myself this morning for incentive - it's been 10 days on the IF plan. I've lost 2.5 pounds! There have been no bad side effects so far. The most striking thing is the reduction of swelling in my left leg and foot - I'm seeing little veins and tendons in my foot that I haven't seen in a long time and my shoe and KAFO fit better. Marks from the KAFO go away very soon after removal. On Sat/Sun, I did not go crazy but ate about 2000 calories/day, and swelling came back a little bit - not much, but ankle was puffier - and diminished again after fasting on Monday.

I found a really informative website with lots of detailed info on IF and variations on how to structure the fast: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide It confirmed reports that men and women respond differently to the hormonal aspects of IF. Women seem to do better on the type of IF where you eat between, say, 10 AM and 8 PM, which gives the body a 14 hour digestive rest period. Men do fine with 16 hour fasts on that plan. There are several variations on IF and I'm going to try the 14-hour type because of the gender info that's starting to be studied. As fuentejps has said, people can experiment and find out the plan that works best for them and that they can stick with.

My thanks to fuentejps for all the tips and encouragement!
    great job.
    i just read delay dont deny by a 47 yo lady. i recommend you read it. she hits on what works well for her. fun read, she isnt a dr. check it out.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i just read delay dont deny by a 47 yo lady. i recommend you read it. she hits on what works well for her. fun read, she isnt a dr. check it out.
    Thanks for that recommendation, I just had a look on Amazon and it will be the next book I order.

Another pound gone. The only side effect I've noticed is an early-AM bitter taste in my mouth, which is (I've read) typical at the beginning of IF. I have a lot of energy and hunger is no longer a problem - I feel it sometimes, but not as often or to the degree that it's distracting. In order to accommodate my husband's schedule, I switched to the 16:8 plan (8-hour eating window, 16 hour fast) a couple of days ago and it really suits me. There are all sorts of options for IF and it can be adapted to any schedule, so to those who are curious, I say give it a try.

John, that Delay, Don't Deny book is a gem - got it yesterday and it's clear, funny, straightforward and refreshing. It is a very nice companion to Dr. Fung's book. Are you on your maintenance plan? I know you were very close to your goal.

Another pound gone. The only side effect I've noticed is an early-AM bitter taste in my mouth, which is (I've read) typical at the beginning of IF. I have a lot of energy and hunger is no longer a problem - I feel it sometimes, but not as often or to the degree that it's distracting. In order to accommodate my husband's schedule, I switched to the 16:8 plan (8-hour eating window, 16 hour fast) a couple of days ago and it really suits me. There are all sorts of options for IF and it can be adapted to any schedule, so to those who are curious, I say give it a try.

John, that Delay, Don't Deny book is a gem - got it yesterday and it's clear, funny, straightforward and refreshing. It is a very nice companion to Dr. Fung's book. Are you on your maintenance plan? I know you were very close to your goal.
    great to hear........awesome job. yes that book is great i have read it a few times now......she does a omad plan...

yep im maintaining now still playing with calories. doing 3 24 hr fasts currently.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com