Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Calories and weight loss.

I've read that SCI burn less calories than able bodies - by about 20%. Make sense, because lack of tone and those muscles not doing anything to burn at rest. I have also read that SCI burn the same amount as able bodies and the SCI doesn't make a difference, at rest of course.

Whats the consensus here ? Anyone lose weight by calorie counting ? The reason I ask, is that I have been counting for about 10 days. I punched my info on myfitness pal and set it to lose 1.5lb a week, sorta giving myself some wiggle room if I do indeed burn less calories idle - so actual goal is 1lb a week. Wanna lose like 10-20 pounds. I'm eating no more than 1650 a day. I just hope that's enough.....guess Ill find out in a few months if I do indeed need to eat less that that -_-

Also saw this and might test it out. https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearab...wearable-news/

I eat quite a bit less than I did pre-injury--C7. My weight is stable. Without much appetite, I have to force myself to eat what I do.

A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.
    You think so ? I thought 1lb a week was the gold standard target to hit.

I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.

[QUOTE=August West;1842011]I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.[/QUOTE

I agree with this approach 100%, it has worked for me.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.
    Its actually not been to difficult to keep going. I eat pretty clean, but I can also have the occasional treat - like a burger, all while not going over my target. Id rather have a good entr?e than a dessert if I had to choose between the calories. I eat fruits and veggies everyday. I was thinking about going almost vegetarian so I wouldn't have to count calories, but that's difficult because I feel hungrier more often and would constantly have to eat. Like those chimps eating leaves all day.

I don't have much of an appetite either, but its pretty easy to consume way more calories than you think.

Got a kitchen scale coming in tomorrow, with those little black plastic containers. Gonna start getting creative.

You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.
    This works great but lots and lots of water
    ^^(A)^^

yep, count calories. use a tracker, I use my fitness pal. works great to maintain and stay accountable.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer