Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    fuentejps,

What do you use to measure your BMR?

When your BMR rate is cracking how do you know what speed it is at? Kcal/sec? What is the units for BMR?

How do I determine my BMR and how do I keep it cranking?

Ti
    nothing fancy i just use a bmr calculator then deduct 25% of that number for sci then deduct 500 cals from that final number to lose. if you google bmr and sci several articles state we are roughly 18-25% lower than AB ppl are.
    ex-
    46 yo male
    6'2
    =1846 bmr
    -25%
    =1384 bmr w/ sci
    -500 cals
    =884.5 cals per day to be in deficit
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    nothing fancy i just use a bmr calculator then deduct 25% of that number for sci then deduct 500 cals from that final number to lose. if you google bmr and sci several articles state we are roughly 18-25% lower than AB ppl are.
    ex-
    46 yo male
    6'2
    =1846 bmr
    -25%
    =1384 bmr w/ sci
    -500 cals
    =884.5 cals per day to be in deficit
    There's a pubmed article from June 2018 that seems to say that BMI measurements based on height, weight, gender and age overestimate the BMI for SCI by 14-17%, depending on the type of calculation applied; but the mean difference between measurements is about 6%. So perhaps we only differ from ABs in the range of 6% (let's say10%, to be safe)? Here's the article I'm referring to: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29315167 It's possible that I misinterpreted the conclusion, of course.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    There's a pubmed article from June 2018 that seems to say that BMI measurements based on height, weight, gender and age overestimate the BMI for SCI by 14-17%, depending on the type of calculation applied; but the mean difference between measurements is about 6%. So perhaps we only differ from ABs in the range of 6% (let's say10%, to be safe)? Here's the article I'm referring to: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29315167 It's possible that I misinterpreted the conclusion, of course.
    good read. i think most of us lean toward the less complicated online bmr calculators which would put us in the 14-17% range. i'd guess that is more for paras too. higher for quads
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    good read. i think most of us lean toward the less complicated online bmr calculators which would put us in the 14-17% range. i'd guess that is more for paras too. higher for quads
    That's a good point. I think the higher percentage of BMI deduction for SCI (followed by a subtraction of 500 for calories deficit) would be difficult for many women to sustain, on a daily basis. In my case, the online calculation for BMI (less 500 calories for weight loss) would work out to only 650 allowable calories per day - not enough to provide adequate nourishment in and of itself, but the IF regimen seems to address that problem (three days at 600 calories, two at 1000, and two eating anything one wants). I started the program today and will let you know how I do.

There are anecdotal reports online that women have a different response than men to IF, when it comes to blood pressure. Men's BP almost always goes down, but some women have reported BP spikes that resolve completely when IF is discontinued. There is no known medical explanation for it. Not all women experience spikes, but in the cases discussed online, IF was the only new variable the women had incorporated in their lifestyles. Many of those women were in my age group, so it might be that hormone production in the aging (well, old) female population is a matter that needs more study. I'll keep an eye on my BP.
    Last edited by Bonnette; Yesterday at 02:34 PM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by bonnette View Post
    that's a good point. I think the higher percentage of bmi deduction for sci (followed by a subtraction of 500 for calories deficit) would be difficult for many women to sustain, on a daily basis. In my case, the online calculation for bmi (less 500 calories for weight loss) would work out to only 650 allowable calories per day - not enough to provide adequate nourishment in and of itself, but the if regimen seems to address that problem (three days at 600 calories, two at 1000, and two eating anything one wants). I started the program today and will let you know how i do.

There are anecdotal reports online that women have a different response than men to if, when it comes to blood pressure. Men's bp almost always goes down, but some women have reported bp spikes that resolve completely when if is discontinued. There is no known medical explanation for it. Not all women experience spikes, but in the cases discussed online, if was the only new variable the women had incorporated in their lifestyles. Many of those women were in my age group, so it might be that hormone production in the aging (well, old) female population is a matter that needs more study. I'll keep an eye on my bp.
    see what works best for you. Beauty of if is flexibility.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

With regard to BMI, another thing I wonder about is the effect of posture and bone loss on height measurement. I'll use myself as an example, though I think this situation must apply to many, if not most, SCI people.

I used to be 5'6" but am quite stooped now - probably around 3 or 4 inches shorter, if measured upright. But most of my height is still there, it's just in a bent-forward formation. So I don't know whether to state my former height, or a current estimate in the height space on BMI questionnaires. Another factor to take into account is atrophy of the ligaments and fascia that support our bones - height loss can be due to connective tissue laxity, as well as outright bone loss. So I think the BMI picture might be complicated by factors that haven't been medically measured. No doubt I'm being OD on this subject, but I find myself wondering about the applicability of these measurements - we are so different from the general population. I can even imagine situations in which caloric requirements might actually be higher for us than ABs, since we have to compensate for our conditions and that takes energy.

With regard to BMI, another thing I wonder about is the effect of posture and bone loss on height measurement. I'll use myself as an example, though I think this situation must apply to many, if not most, SCI people.

I used to be 5'6" but am quite stooped now - probably around 3 or 4 inches shorter, if measured upright. But most of my height is still there, it's just in a bent-forward formation. So I don't know whether to state my former height, or a current estimate in the height space on BMI questionnaires. Another factor to take into account is atrophy of the ligaments and fascia that support our bones - height loss can be due to connective tissue laxity, as well as outright bone loss. So I think the BMI picture might be complicated by factors that haven't been medically measured. No doubt I'm being OD on this subject, but I find myself wondering about the applicability of these measurements - we are so different from the general population. I can even imagine situations in which caloric requirements might actually be higher for us than ABs, since we have to compensate for our conditions and that takes energy.
    Can you still stand to get a standing height measurement?

I can't stand and when asked what my height is by medical personnel, I report my height taken while I am reclining in bed from the top of my head to the bottom of my heel. That measurement is 6'3". Before my injury I measured 6'4". I think that inch of height loss is probably due to bone loss in my spine.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Can you still stand to get a standing height measurement?

I can't stand and when asked what my height is by medical personnel, I report my height taken while I am reclining in bed from the top of my head to the bottom of my heel. That measurement is 6'3". Before my injury I measured 6'4". I think that inch of height loss is probably due to bone loss in my spine.
    Yes, I can stand if I wear my leg brace and have something or someone to support me. But my neck juts forward and I am hunched, so a standing measurement would be 3-4" inches shorter than if I had a straight back - the inches might still be there, but they are not configured in the normal way. I'll have my husband measure me lying down, that's a good idea - but the cervical curve will still be extreme.

my wife measures me in my stander.
    let me know any side effects you experience. only things i find 1. get cold after 24hrs 2. terrible dry mouth breath.

Yes, I can stand if I wear my leg brace and have something or someone to support me. But my neck juts forward and I am hunched, so a standing measurement would be 3-4" inches shorter than if I had a straight back - the inches might still be there, but they are not configured in the normal way. I'll have my husband measure me lying down, that's a good idea - but the cervical curve will still be extreme.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com