Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Calories and weight loss.

I've read that SCI burn less calories than able bodies - by about 20%. Make sense, because lack of tone and those muscles not doing anything to burn at rest. I have also read that SCI burn the same amount as able bodies and the SCI doesn't make a difference, at rest of course.

Whats the consensus here ? Anyone lose weight by calorie counting ? The reason I ask, is that I have been counting for about 10 days. I punched my info on myfitness pal and set it to lose 1.5lb a week, sorta giving myself some wiggle room if I do indeed burn less calories idle - so actual goal is 1lb a week. Wanna lose like 10-20 pounds. I'm eating no more than 1650 a day. I just hope that's enough.....guess Ill find out in a few months if I do indeed need to eat less that that -_-

Also saw this and might test it out. https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearab...wearable-news/

I eat quite a bit less than I did pre-injury--C7. My weight is stable. Without much appetite, I have to force myself to eat what I do.

A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.

I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.

You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.

yep, count calories. use a tracker, I use my fitness pal. works great to maintain and stay accountable.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Calorie count using perfect diet tracker, set to lose 5 kg in 3 months, target is about 1500 per day which I have stuck to for months but I have only stayed at the same weight. I came to the conclusion even putting low exercise in as my activity level SCI requires even less than 1500 to lose weight. I can't eat any less, already start shaking as I wait for dinner and need to snack through the day to keep energy level up. C3 so can't do any exercise although do use my FES bike every day which burns about 40 calories for 90 minutes pedalling.

if you cant exercise 1500 is way to much. I'm very active and exercise daily and I set my daily goal at 1200 to lose a quick 10 after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Calorie count using perfect diet tracker, set to lose 5 kg in 3 months, target is about 1500 per day which I have stuck to for months but I have only stayed at the same weight. I came to the conclusion even putting low exercise in as my activity level SCI requires even less than 1500 to lose weight. I can't eat any less, already start shaking as I wait for dinner and need to snack through the day to keep energy level up. C3 so can't do any exercise although do use my FES bike every day which burns about 40 calories for 90 minutes pedalling.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

[QUOTE=August West;1842011]I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.[/QUOTE

I agree with this approach 100%, it has worked for me.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.
    This works great but lots and lots of water
    ^^(A)^^