Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Calories and weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I'm doing the 16:8 (sometimes 15:9 or 14:10), and even on that modified IF plan, my metabolism has sped up. I can eat an extraordinary amount some days without gaining. Pretty amazing stuff, this IF.
    Is there a equation to figure out how many calories you should eat daily? How many calories are you eating daily? What about on weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Is there a equation to figure out how many calories you should eat daily? How many calories are you eating daily? What about on weekends?
    In the version of IF I'm doing, there is no difference between weekdays and weekends - what matters is the length of time between your last meal of one day and your first meal of the next. So since there are 24 hours in a day, a 16:8 ratio means that you eat only between the hours of, say, 8 AM and 4 PM; you fast for sixteen hours after that. 15:9 = eat between 8 AM and 5 PM, and so on.

For the plan to work best, it's important to keep a clean fast - meaning nothing but water, black coffee or tea (no creamer or sweetener, even stevia) during the fasting hours. No coughdrops or gum during the fast, either.

During the hours that you eat, you can have pretty much anything you want (within reason) because what makes this plan work is that during the fasting period, your body is burning actual fat and not glucose - your metabolism revs up as a result.

That said, I do count calories because it's second nature to me and I actually enjoy keeping track. For weight loss, 1000 calories/day works for me - on maintenance, I've found that I can allow myself about 1700 calories/day, but some days I go way over that amount and stay the same weight. The trick is to go right back on the plan after a big splurge, before your body gets the idea that it should start hoarding calories.

As far as calorie calculations go, if you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight, subtract 500 from that number to lose 1 lb/week; or 1000 calories per day to lose 2 lb/week. But with IF, you'll lose weight faster because of the chemical changes that go on in your body, leading to faster metabolism and thus speedier weight loss.

Here's the takeaway: the physiology is complex, but in practice the plan is EASY.

Edited to add: If you make sure to get most of your calories from food that your body can actually use - basic food groups, good nutrition - you'll have a great deal of energy on the plan.

Fuentejps is on another version of IF where he fasts a certain number of days per week. That's what's great about IF - there are different approaches and it's really customizable.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 10-13-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Addition
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    In the version of IF I'm doing, there is no difference between weekdays and weekends - what matters is the length of time between your last meal of one day and your first meal of the next. So since there are 24 hours in a day, a 16:8 ratio means that you eat only between the hours of, say, 8 AM and 4 PM; you fast for sixteen hours after that. 15:9 = eat between 8 AM and 5 PM, and so on.

For the plan to work best, it's important to keep a clean fast - meaning nothing but water, black coffee or tea (no creamer or sweetener, even stevia) during the fasting hours. No coughdrops or gum during the fast, either.

During the hours that you eat, you can have pretty much anything you want (within reason) because what makes this plan work is that during the fasting period, your body is burning actual fat and not glucose - your metabolism revs up as a result.

That said, I do count calories because it's second nature to me and I actually enjoy keeping track. For weight loss, 1000 calories/day works for me - on maintenance, I've found that I can allow myself about 1700 calories/day, but some days I go way over that amount and stay the same weight. The trick is to go right back on the plan after a big splurge, before your body gets the idea that it should start hoarding calories.

As far as calorie calculations go, if you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight, subtract 500 from that number to lose 1 lb/week; or 1000 calories per day to lose 2 lb/week. But with IF, you'll lose weight faster because of the chemical changes that go on in your body, leading to faster metabolism and thus speedier weight loss.

Here's the takeaway: the physiology is complex, but in practice the plan is EASY.

Edited to add: If you make sure to get most of your calories from food that your body can actually use - basic food groups, good nutrition - you'll have a great deal of energy on the plan.

Fuentejps is on another version of IF where he fasts a certain number of days per week. That's what's great about IF - there are different approaches and it's really customizable.
    Thanks for the information. Does it matter what time of the day you eat and fast? 16:8 eat between 12pm-8pm then fast from 8pm-12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Does it matter what time of the day you eat and fast? 16:8 eat between 12pm-8pm then fast from 8pm-12pm.
    No - it's entirely up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    No photos of the belly sadly, got one from a night out last December that prompted a serious diet. Waist has come down 4-5 inches if not more on non bloated days. Can't do any training other than FES bike for legs.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    No photos of the belly sadly, got one from a night out last December that prompted a serious diet. Waist has come down 4-5 inches if not more on non bloated days. Can't do any training other than FES bike for legs.
    belly shot from saturday
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Wow, looking fit dude. Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Wow, looking fit dude. Good for you!
    You sure are!

thx guys