Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to brake down a steep hill.

If you can't wheelie down the hill, zig zag down it.

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    I can't wheelie and I have a similar situation almost every day. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit ADI disk brakes onto my chair.
    I instead, fitted a Magura HS33 R Hydraulic Bicycle Rim Brake....
    Can you post a pic or two of this setup? If you have trouble pm me and I'll send you my email. I think others would like to try this, me maybe.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

A friend of mine from way back Ralf Hotchkiss, an inventor, used a device he engineered and called a "wheelie bar" - about 45 years ago. It was somehow attached to the back of his wheelchair in such a way that you could snap it out into position (while sitting in your chair) so that a small wheel was on the pavement, the "bar" out enough that you could roll around on your rear wheels, with front wheels up a few inches. He would sit with this thing in position to "recline" for a few minutes. I was not a fan of going downhill on my back wheels, and this device would have worked for me. Alas, never saw it again. Note: Not talking about anti-tip bars which do not sit that far out from back of chair.

However the issue in original post indicates an abnormally steep hill, so I'm no help here as braking might still be difficult.

i still dont see how adi braking could help unless your hand function is poor, as the main problem is tipping forwards and no amount of brakes are going to stop that from happening unless you want to take a few days to get down the hill :P it doesnt take much momentum to tip you out especially forwards on a steep hill going down, unless its a smooth tarmac pavement where catching the front castors isnt going to happen, but then again its that time of the year with loads of crap on the ground, good luck.

Where I live a public shuttle provides door to door service for just this reason. If they don't offer this shuttle service where you live, perhaps they would have the bus make a special stop at your door. Maybe you think it's asking too much. But it's not. You'll probably find that they're happy to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    I can't wheelie and I have a similar situation almost every day. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit ADI disk brakes onto my chair.
    I instead, fitted a Magura HS33 R Hydraulic Bicycle Rim Brake.
    I placed the lever on my right side. I separated the brake harness pads with a longer hydraulic hose so that one hydraulic pad presses against the inside rim of my right wheel and the other hydraulic pad presses against the inside of my left wheel.
    My bike shop put it together for me in 2 hours. I have used this since 2015.
    The benefits are that it is not effected by rain and it also works well without using the brake lever on gentle slopes because as a single brake pad is on the inside of each of my wheels, it only takes minor pressure against my pushrims to cause enough counter friction as needed. No more thumbs to mangle. I don't press my gloves on my tyres for braking any more so I save on leather gloves.
    The downside is finding a simple way to keep the lever down and steer at the same time. I use a standard roll of insulation tape to lock the brake lever down on very steep hills/ramps and also when I transfer.
    You will either love them or hate them!
    Uploaded photos for gps:
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Uploaded photos for gps:
    Nonoise, thanks for uploading my pictures. This system provides smooth braking for those long down hills. Even steep hills.
    It doesn't look fancy but it works for me.